Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Tomato Soup Recipe-Great for Canning Too

Recipe for Tomato Soup-to can

a mix of heirloom tomato varietes really helps with the flavor. I filled up a really big pot-just cut them up in pieces-I put 1/2 cup water in to help prevent sticking

1 large red onion-diced-preferably home grown

1 tablespoon dried minced garlic

1 mild hot pepper

fresh basil leaves-I used my new ball herb scissors-love them!

Simmer till everything is tender-while doing that wash your quart canning jars-and prepare your water bath canner.

When soft, run through a food mill, I use my grandmas old cone on a stand with a wooden thing lol to smash the juice through.

Bring back to the stove, add 2 tablespoons of organic sugar-taste and if you prefer salt add it here,  and heat til hot-but do not boil

Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to each quart jar add your juice-and follow canning guidelines-can for 40 minutes.

This makes an excellent flavored tomato juice or base for tomato soup-I think lots of basil is the secret ingredient for flavor





I canned up a small batch a couple days ago-had enough for two large pots full this morning-hopefully will give me at least 6 quarts. This batch I threw in basil leaves and stems that were paratially drying-from my last batch- I did not snip them this time. I also had some little green onions that needed to get used up-so I used those this time-but I am thinking I am going to go an add a red onion too

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails