Friday, January 31, 2014

My Favorite Gluten Free Baking Flour Blend & a Gluten Free Discussion

I believe I have posted this recipe before but thought I would post again for my new friends that also bake gluten free.

I figured it out on my own over 15 years ago that my body could not digest gluten. Back then, it was more of a struggle as I had no doctor's support, very little information was around, and I had to really read and research every purchased product. Going to a restaurant - well they had  no clue what I was talking about. LOL

I would say though that during the last 5 years there is finally help and information available:  from your doctor as they are more aware of celiac now,  many gluten free food products available, and excellent new cookbooks and gluten free blogs. My favorite go to gluten free blog is Karina's-her recipes are always excellent. She is listed in my blog roll.

I recently discovered a magazine -Living Without-that I have learned allot from. The recipes are very good as is the information they share. This magazine always gives suggestions for dairy free, egg free too.

I don't usually buy prepared mixes or prepared gluten free flours for every day baking, as they are too expensive and they are very high in carbs and less nutrition. When I bake I want the bake goods to have mostly healthy ingredients in it.

Upgrading to more healthy due to health issues, getting older, or just wanting to is a life process I think. It has been for me since the '70s I have learned to adjust to my hubby's and my diet requirements through the years. 

I found this basic recipe for gluten free flour blends from a little paper back booklet (I upgraded the white rice to brown rice flour)-and I find it works really well. I use it in allot of my favorite recipes from the past-especially family cookies etc. It also works well for a pie crust, I have even baked an angel food cake with it.

Gluten free all purpose flour blend

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca flour or starch-same thing
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup almond meal flour

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk til blended. Store in airtight containers or zip lock freezer bags. Store in freezer for longest shelf life.

I usually triple the recipe for a batch. The sorghum flour and almond meal flour are both very high in nutrition and proteins. The brown rice flour is more nutritious than just white rice flour. Depending on the recipe you are baking you can substitute coconut flour for the almond meal flour.


Gluten free flour blend for breads

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup millet flour
1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk til blended. Store in airtight containers or zip lock freezer bags. Store in freezer for longest shelf life.

I do the same and make up a triple batch and keep in the freezer. If you are able to digest bean flour you can substitute a bean flour for the millet flour.


       Another ingredient you need to add to most of your baked goods is either xanthan gum or guar gum. The xanthan gum is corn based so if you have a corn allergy will need to use guar gum. This ingredient is added to bind, thicken, and emulsify gluten free ingredients.
  How much to use? Here is my go to chart for how much to add to a recipe

Anything you would like to share from your gluten free baking experiences is welcome--Let me know if anyone would be interested in a gluten free day-where we can share recipes or tips for gluten free. and if so which day would you like?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails