Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Let's Bee Social-Weekly Event by Sew Fresh Quilts

Hi all, I am linking up with Let's Bee Social this week. This is a weekly event held every Wednesday-a way to Bee Social and meet new friends that quilt also. Check link in my right hand column.

This week I did not sew at all. I took a break from hand quilting to make new products for my Kathyinozarks Soaps on Etsy (link in left column)  However, I did work with my friend that machine embroiders all my quilt labels for me-to make up 18 words describing my Mom that will be sewn into the corners and borders. So am pleased about that.

I also received my gorgeous glass Czech buttons that I ordered  yesterday-see yesterday's blog post for photos. I just Love them. I am planning on making a wool crazy quilt purse with an under water sea theme-so I just had to have a mermaid. I am anxious to start this project-but I need to get the pattern enlarged-so hope to work on that next week. Plus I want to get the quilt that I am hand quilting finished first before I begin another project.

This morning I have a gluten free pineapple upside down cake in the oven. I have not been one to use boxed mixes of any kind, but for the last 15 years baking gluten free for me, is sometimes a challenge so  I now keep a Betty Crocker's gluten free yellow cake mix on hand. It's a good all purpose mix to turn into lots of things. I usually make chocolate cupcakes with it and I change allot of the additional ingredients to more healthy-instead of butter I use coconut oil-melted, instead of 3 eggs I replace one or two with applesauce or flaxseed meal mixed with water, for the water I use almond milk, or a fruit juice etc instead of water. 
     For this cake I replaced some of the brown sugar on the bottom with coconut sugar, and added in a handful of blueberries with the crushed pineapple-I opted for crushed instead of the rings since I didn't have the right size square pan. I will update with a photo later once it comes out of the oven. It is starting to smell pretty yummy right now in the kitchen.



Update: I just took this out of the oven. The plate is handmade pottery and heavy along with the glass pan it was baked in -so flipping it over was a challenge-that's why it is not quite centered-lol
     I had read the reviews about this recipe on the Betty Crocker site and many had issues with the cake not getting done in the middle. I had the same problem-it took over 15 minutes longer to finish up. What I ended up doing was putting a piece of parchment paper on top of the cake-mostly so it wouldn't get too brown while it finished baking. That really did the trick-and I made a note of that for me to do next time-but half way through the baking time.  I also think that crushed pineapple is the way to go instead of rings-since the gluten free cake is more fragile than the normal wheat batter version.

We are one of those states getting hit again with the arctic blast of cold air-brrrrr this has been a very cold winter for us here in the Ozarks of Missouri. I am sooooo ready for spring temps to get here and to stay.

Happy Wednesday everyone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails