Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year-and Joining in for the First Week of Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts

Happy New Year!

   So did you watch the Rose Parade? I love that parade and I recently discovered that if you watch it on HGTV it is commercial free-so much more enjoyable to watch that way.

  I really wanted to join in today, being that Sew Fresh Quilt's Let's Bee Social begins today; but I just now got to the computer. See link in my right hand column for all the information.

Last night from sitting in the car over to our friends and then being at the party for 4 hours-my back got much worse. This morning it was really worse-major muscle spasms-so it's been a rough go today-can't sit comfortably, can't lay down, hurts when I stand up-I did some research online for herbal treatments and happened to have the calendula and goldenseal to brew into a tea-so I have been soaking a cloth in that and applying to the worse spot-so will see if it helps. We have bad weather coming in today and really do not want to go to a chiropractor right now. Plus I don't think I could even handle a chiropractor right now either.

  So enough of all that. When I am able I am continuing to work on the hand quilting of my Mom's quilt. For the large half triangle blocks on the borders, I have decided to embroider a large red heart which will pick up the red center block in the log cabins. I am at the half way point now. I may embroidery words and phrases on a fabric or wool heart and then embroider that in the middle of the larger hearts.

  I have never made a hexie so I just recently got in glass templates from Val's Quilting Studio-link in my previous post or in my blog list too.  I got the larger template as I do better with large blocks. I may try a wool applique first and soon. 

     I am also planning on embroidering an ocean scene on a crazy quilt wool background-and I am thinking of making a purse.
     I found the pattern in Primitive Quilts and Projects Summer 2013 issue. I will follow the pattern for the wool purse but embroider an ocean scene with lots of glass beads, mermaid, sea horse and more. So I am anxiously looking forward to some new glass beads to appear in my mail box. Fun!

   I have decided this year to mostly work on smaller projects-I think I can be more productive that way. I do have a few 1800's quilts I really want to start this year too.

   I do more than quilt-I also love to hand dye both with procion dyes and also natural materials. I like to paint on to fabric with pebeco sun paints. I love to weave, rug hook, (check the search my blog tool) anything with natural fibers-I also like to do a few art quilts using my own hand dyes, and I love using silk noil and wool roving and hand needle felt for accents, and add beads too.

   I am looking forward to meeting those of you that are joining in Let's Bee Social too.

17 comments:

  1. Your upcoming projects sound wonderful will look forward to seeing them. Praying your back will heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, It is not fun when the back hurts. My husband has been using heat packs on his hip when it hurts. Seems to work better then the pain pills that causes problems. You have lots of projects planned as we all do. I just wonder how much I will get accomplished. The bitter cold and snow is here and it is headed down your way. I liked the days of 40's and 50's weather. Take care. Many Hugs and Prayers from Your NW Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your back is giving you trouble again, Kathy. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the coming months as you tackle all those wonderful projects you have on the go and the ones you will be starting this year. Rest up and get well soon! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many talents friend! Seriously! What a creative lady you are! I am super bummed to hear about your back though. I hope that you find something that will ease the pain. And we are getting bad weather too! Non stop snow! You take care of you...and a very Happy New Year to you and yours! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear your back is giving you so much trouble. I hope the remedy you found helps. I've have a long-standing back problem since i injured it in my very first job as a teenager. I usually take anti-inflammatories and apply hot compresses until the spasms stop.

    Talking of spasms, my current abdominal problem finally seems to be starting to respond to the new meds. It does feel somewhat easier, and I was able to sleep for three hours last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's good news Mitch-I am hoping you haven't lost too much weight over all this-not getting sleep is rough too.
      My father injured his back really bad when he was young and had problems after that. my brother has back problems too-I am thinking now that my spine is out of alignment but right now when I look out the window early-we did get snow last night so don't want to deal with getting into town-

      Delete
  6. I hope and pray that your back gets better soon. Like Mitchy says, if you find something that relieves your discomfort, let us know. The new year has brought us rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Brenda, do you get a cold winter where you live? allot of the usa is having bitter cold and snow blizzards this week-we are getting the cold but so far missing most of the snow-yeah

      Delete
    2. Today with the rain, it's mild, but we do have ,cold weather and sometimes we get cold air from Siberia in January and February. Of course, we are near the mountains which get lots of snow in the winter, but have a lovely temperature in the summer - usually 20 degrees F cooler than in Madrid. Sure hope we don't have super hiigh temps in Madrid this summer like they're having in Argentina at the present. We can never put our winter clothes away until June when the hot weather finally arrives. So if you're thinking of coming to Spain remember we have the same weather as the US, except we don't usually get a lot of snow in the capital.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Brenda, sounds like you have pretty decent weather most of the time then. I am tired of the extreme hot summers too-last summer was perfect so I hope we get a repeat.

      Delete
  7. I hope your back feels better soon and you can be pain free and creating again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful to have some many interests and skills. I think you are going to have a fun and interesting year of creating!

    Hope your back is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, I am sending you positive thoughts for a pain free back, yikes that is a painful way to start the New Year.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy
    Oh you poor thing with that dreadful back pain! What does help for back spasm is Magnesium and Calcium which you may be able to purchase from your health store.
    Have a great year and working on smaller projects sounds just what the doctor ordered!
    All the best and take care,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your back pain! That is no fun! I've had my share of back pain! Mostly due to poor posture at the office desk. It was bad enough to have to go to physical therapy. You have a lot of interesting areas of passion and hobbies. I won a glass hexie from Val during a giveaway and like you looking forward to using it! Thanks for stopping by my blog today commenting on my pillow! Praying that you get some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathy, Happy New Year!
    I hope your back gets feeling better soon and you have some comfort back! Ever tried a homeopathic remedy for muscle pain and inflammation called Traumeel......it comes in gel form and tablets. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my pages. I enjoy reading your comments very much; as it's like getting mail-and I really do love mail!
I try to respond back to each of you. If you are a noreply blogger I will respond back here, otherwise through email. During my giveaways if you are a noreply blogger you must include your contact information in your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails