Sunday, December 29, 2013

Good Morning Sunday

Good Morning everyone.

Cold temperatures with wind is back today so we will be keeping the two woodstoves full. Really enjoyed the couple days with 50s and 60s-which got all the ice melted off so no worries about losing the power from ice.

Our friend Mr L had given me about 4 pounds of fresh Arkansas pecan halves-wow how awesome is that? So to thank him, I made him a pecan pie yesterday. Of course Larry wanted me make him one too-but I need to figure out how to lower all those sugars as there is a cup of sugar which I change over to splenda but there is also a cup of karo syrup so gotta think about that-lol I had made him one a few weeks back with the karo syrup and splenda but was still too sweet for a diabetic. Larry loves his sweets.

I was planning on making a couple apple-cranberry pies today though. We have apples that need to get used up and I have plenty of fresh cranberries in the freezer, thought that would make a nice change up for the apple pies. But, we needed firewood in yesterday, couldn't get a hold of the one person that could have helped me get it in-so I just did it-well I am really down with my back now-was a rough night last night. Hoping I can find a chair to sit in so I can get back to the hand quilting on Mom's quilt. Larry has severe arthritis so he is in too much pain when bringing in the wood. Those wheel barrels really get ya when we get older. Need to figure out another way for hauling. I have been just carrying 3 or 4 pieces in by hand-but the weight still re aggravated my back. should have known better-but I wanted that firewood in-I can be too stubborn for my own good sometimes lol

I have been thinking about all those people stuck on their ship in Antartic the ice locked them in and they can't move. I love their positive spirits though they said they have enough food for at least a month. The Chinese rescue ship had to turn back, so they are waiting on the next rescue attempt.

  Those of you that sew and craft do you check on Etsy for supplies? I love shopping there. Yesterday I was browsing around and discovered a brand new shop that was selling lots of her vintage beads. She had a beautiful collection and she said she was just beginning to post.
     Last year I finished up my first crazy quilt block made with wool, velvet and silks and learned some new embroidery stitches and added beads-I really enjoyed that-ended up making the block into a pillow. 
   Since then I have been collecting beads and things to make an ocean scene. This shop had a carved mermaid but I didn't like the face-but that item brought me to her shop. I asked her if she had glass beads in ocean colors-and with her help I chose several strands to use for water. I will post a photo and a link to the shop when my beads arrive-I am so excited-it's a little gift to myself.

Wishing you all a warm and cozy Sunday

17 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy!! Glad to hear the ice has all melted now. Less chance of power-outs now.

    The apple and cranberry pies sound good!!

    I still think you should accumulate a wood pile close to the door during the warm months, that way you wouldn't have to struggle so much getting it in in the winter.

    I got another storm heading in in the next hour or so.......more gale-force winds and heavy rain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked those strong winds-scarey stuff
      We have a wood rack just out the door that holds a weeks worth of wood-and usually I am able to fill that up in between bad weather-and the main wood pile isn't that far away-but when your back is hurting than you just shouldn't be messing with it. Larry just told me he ordered me one of those eden pure electric heaters to help out this winter-so that will be nice should be here mid week

      Delete
  2. There's not much that is more miserable than a back that's aching (an achy head might be the one thing that's worse! Hmmmm?). I hope the heater helps eliminate the wood-restocking in really bad weather. We have an outdoor woodfired boiler. DH built a wood storage building that surrounds the boiler, too, so if the weather turns nasty (like it is now.......minus 14 tonight with significant Northerly winds...Ugh!) at least the wood supply is closer. Retirement allows us to get the wood cut, etc, without the work schedule problem but in order to be retired one must be old!!!! Takes a bit (lot?) longer to do the task these days. DH thinks somewhere warmer for a month, or so, during the winter would be good. I don't know about that, my quilting is mostly done with machines that are too large to move easily. We'll see what happens. I pray you are feeling better quickly.....hugs..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-lol retirement means we are older. I have gone through this before but not for a few years now-I had learned about some stretching exercises that have really helped. My hand quilting is going well today as I feed the wood stove with small pieces of wood and watch the olympic trials
      you must have a back up heat source? we don't have a back up working-we have propane gas set up but never finished it-really don't want the cost of it.
      Larry always wanted a wood furnace-would definately keep the house warmer too.
      that would be kinda cool to be able to take off a month in the winter-especially with those temps. you could always take up an applique project perhaps or take projects that need all the fabrics cut before sewing.

      Delete
  3. I hope your back is soon better. I heard that Dr. Oz once say the best thing for back pain was castor oil rubbed in, with saran wrap wrapped around your back and a heating pad on it. At least that ahouldn't be too difficult to stand in the winter. Thank goodness you're getting an electric heater. Can't wait to see your beads and what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, thank you for the remedy tip-I sometimes use the heating pad allot cause I don't like the ice. I don't think I have any castor oil around-sounds simple and worth a try I am looking forward to the little heater right now too I don't like to spend money on heat-but think it's a good idea right now

      Delete
  4. You deserve a gift for yourself, and beads sound lovely. Hope your back feels better.
    hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take care Kathy anxious to see the beads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite honestly you don't look as old as you are feeling...if that helps. I have osterpososis (sp?) in my back and hips...so am truly empahtetic today. I walk a minimum of 15 miles a week in the winter 20 miles in the summer...between the treadmill and daily outside walks to and from work and getting Jackson out....today I went grumplily....LOL!!!! You've seen my weather...and I'm on a two week break from teaching and living most the days in my favorite flannel jammies!!! Had every intention of "sewing" the day away...but dealt with computer problems all morning and finished our "budget" for 2014 and went for a 2 mile walk early afternoon...so here I am with a glass of wine checking in with everyone...LOL!!! I have two more days until we go see our grandbaby....so maybe I'll change jammies..and lock myself in for those two days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get back to walking-and I live in the woods so there is no excuse-lol Our pet of 15 years-Nikita passed last february and since then I have not been able to do my daily hikes-so that has really taken a toll on my body's muscles etc. so once it gets warmer I will make myself get out there and walk again-it really does make a difference. I have osterposis too so its important to walk. I think I would spoil myself on those two days too-hugs

      Delete
  7. Take it easy for a few days.... we don't bounce back like we used to :) You'll love the Eden heater.... a lot heat for a little electricity .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pecan pie!!!! WOnderful.
    I m worried about those ship folks too.. Id be FREAKIN out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too-hubby said that the ice could crush their hull if it doesn't break up around them

      Delete
  9. Oh Kathy - do be careful and protect your back!

    I look forward to seeing your beads and what you create with them. I have oodles in my bead stash and it is wonderful how a few beads can make a quilt or pillow extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear that your back is still bothering you. Do you use some type of balm like bengay. It can be very helpful.
    Those pies sound wonderful, but yeah karo syrup would definitely not be good for Larry.
    Hope the weather holds up and no more ice or snow.
    Stay well and warm. and if I am not in touch by then lets hope the new year is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan yes I do use something similiar sometimes, and also the heat pad and a little ice too. I have pushed my back to the limit with the wood so its screaming back at me.
      Larry has severe arthritis so he can't carry much wood-thats always been what I can do. I got a surprise today though-he bought me an eden pure little heater-to help out--this is rough cold winter here so far

      Delete
  11. I love fresh pecans. We stopped in Georgia on a trip and bought some. I like to eat them with apple slices or just about any fruit. I can't eat sugar at all but I haven't tried baking with Splenda. I use a little in my coffee but that's about all. Have you tried Truvia? It's good to sprinkle on cinnamon toast or use in cold drinks. I hope you'll post the ocean scene when you get it done! Sounds like you have some good ideas for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my pages. I enjoy reading your comments very much; as it's like getting mail-and I really do love mail!
I try to respond back to each of you. If you are a noreply blogger I will respond back here, otherwise through email. During my giveaways if you are a noreply blogger you must include your contact information in your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails