Saturday, November 30, 2013

Hot Chocolate Mix Time of Year



I have been mixing up my own hot cocoa mix for about 4 years now.

I was buying the mixes that were sugar free until I started really reading the ingredients-and wow I was so surprised. Most of these have added not needed salt, and high in fats and added chemicals etc. So I was on the hunt for a healthier but tasty handmade cocoa mix.

I have tried different recipes and have settled on this basic recipe:

1 cup instant dry milk
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sweetener.

I sift out the sugars to make sure there are no lumps and hand mix. One could also put everything in a processor to make finer if you wish.

I use the darkest cocoa I can find. There is a good one at the Amish package stores, and I also like Hershey's special dark cocoa. For sweeteners this is up to you-sugar, brown sugar, organic sugars, stevia-sugar blend, splenda etc etc. There are really allot of choices now that are affordable and accessible either sugar substitutes or organic and fair trade if you choose. 

So this morning I mixed up a triple batch that fits perfectly in the jar I use. For the cocoa I used the Hersheys special dark cocoa and for the sweetener I used 3/4 cup of splenda and 3/4 cup coconut sugar-twice. I buy dry milk in one cup packages just for this recipe so I grabbed 3 packages. 

The quickest way to get a cup of hot cocoa is to heat up your cup of water in the microwave to just boiling. Then add in tablespoons of the mix to taste. I am enjoying a cup of hot cocoa as I type and I really love the addition of the coconut sugar-gives the beverage a little more depth and richer flavor. Yum of course there are marshmallows on top too LOL

To make this even richer; warm up your milk of choosing, could throw in a few chocolate chips to melt, a splash of vanilla extract or your flavor choosing and when it comes to just a simmer (and the chips are melted) add in the dry cocoa mix. fabulous!  and if you have members in your family that are dairy free or vegan just leave out the dry milk in the mix and then mix in milk of choice.

Enjoy!

(photo found on google search)


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails