Friday, October 11, 2013

Sweet Potatoes Dug & Vines Pulled

My sweet potato vines had really taken over my little garden this summer. That month when we ended up with 10 days of rain really got them growing. So it was such a mess I just let them do their thing.

I had hilled up about 12 areas before hand, and since we have no top soil here to speak of, I didn't have anymore soil that I could use to hill up more areas-that's the only way one gets sweet potatoes. So going into this I didn't know what to expect. Was hoping to get enough to eat for a bit, and I was pleasantly surprised. The hills that did good-did really really good-producing 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes, I had one hill that produced that super big one-wow was that fun to pull out of the soil. So I was quite pleased, especially considering this is new ground for a veggie garden, and I would say at least a third of it is still very very hard clay.




I went ahead and kept those little ones as I think they will be good too-hubby suggested deep frying those, or I may roast them in the oven.

The biggest job was pulling all of those vines out of the garden and loading them up in my wheel barrel to take to the compost pile. I ended up with 4 very large trips. I worked most of yesterday morning and finished up today in the morning. I am thinking of looking into what would grow as a good cover crop over winter to help break up this clay soil some more. I may be a bit late on this but I am going to check it out next week with our mfa farm store. If I am too late than I am going to get a couple more bales of straw to cover the garden with and perhaps add more buckets of cow manure if I can get that again-let it soak in over winter, and till. In the spring I should have some more compost I can bring over too.

Nothing left in my garden now except for a few flowers, one purple cabbage, a few herbs that should winter over, and I left the green beans as they looked like they were still growing, and with more rain I could get another picking for supper. I was hoping to plant seeds for fall garden-salad veggies, kale, and swiss chard but we just have not gotton any rain so didn't do that.

I am definately looking forward to next years veggie garden


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails