Friday, September 27, 2013

Photos Of Hand Dyes and Silk Blouses

                                          Goldenrod second batch

      The large blotch areas are from when the plaid wool with red transfered over in the overnight mordant bath. 
    This time I dyed with the flowers still in the bath-and I discovered with this dye project that the first one or two pieces that goes into the pot grabs all the dye. I have yellows this time-yeah.         The greenish yellow in the back of second photo started out as a very light beige (ladies pants)-these pieces will all be perfect for appliques or rug hooking. The red plaid piece I put in last and was a softer beige background so it picked up a little color and the reds are brighter too. 
    The last photo was in the first project I did the day before and I am actually loving this color now-very soft beige with a hint of yellow, think it will weave up into a nice scarf.


Just a note on photos-click to enlarge for better viewing and detail.








                                        Osage Orange

    This is the first I have worked with this natural dye and I really like it. I put the two large skeins of white wool in first so they grabbed the most yellow, and then put in the other pieces. Some of the red plaid also transfered onto some of these pieces. So I won't have anything to sell from these hand dyes but I will have plenty to add to my wool applique, wool crazy quilt blocks, rug hooking, and weaving stash.  What I liked about the osage orange is that the wools grabbed all the color and kept it. When I hand washed and hand rinsed; the water was clear in all steps. When I poured out the dye bath it was clear as well. Unlike the goldenrod that lost allot of yellows during the wash and needed an extra rinse. The yarn especially in this dye bath is a beautiful soft yellow.
      Now if I have time this fall to get an indigo dye bath going, I can over dye some of these pieces and should get green.





Those plaids will be wonderful for backgrounds in rug hooking. In the past I have done most of my natural dye projects outdoors over an open fire pit and in a very very large stainless steel pot. I think I got much better results with this method. Makes a longer day with waiting for the pot to heat up, but the materials have more room to move around in the dye bath. I used old water bath canners this time in the house. I grabbed the water bath canner I was using for canning-was going to turn it over as a dye bath canner next year, but I needed it now. So I am on the hunt for an affordable stainless steel canner now, which I should have purchased years and years ago and would still be using it now.

                           Now on to the silk blouses

     I wasn't going to reveal til they had a chance to set-get rinsed, and pressed-so you need to look beyond what they look like now. They may fade just a bit. Opinions please on these. 
     I need to think more next time on size, shape, and placement of the silk tie pieces and how they get folded up. As you fold; the larger silk tie pieces get larger when they imprint. I especially love the effect of adding the red onion skins to the dye bath-which gives the tans.
      I do really love the short sleeved blouse. On this one the orange pieces in the front were from a tie, but those flowers were cut out from a silk blouse so the dye was not as intense. This one could have stood to stay under the rocks longer. I am still thinking if I want to add fabric paints to those flowers or just see how it turns out after the rinse and press.
      So would any of you wear a blouse like these?









       I am on the hunt now for more pretty blue ties with flowers. I have used up the tie that I had now and really love how it transfers.

Last reminder on my soap giveaway-today is your last chance to sign up-check my blog archive on left side bar for post to enter on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails