Saturday, September 28, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Pudding with Coconut Cream

I have been wanting to make this for awhile now, so this morning was the day.  Years ago I quit buying store bought pudding when I started really reading the ingredients on those boxes-lots of salt, or sugar, or chemicals etc etc-nope I don't want that. The diabetic ones are especially poor food quality.

I found that when I have a taste for pudding, it is so easy to make up some. Now that I am on this everything possible organic coconut products for baking and cooking-I got to thinking; wouldn't chocolate pudding made with coconut cream instead of cream or half and half just be divine?? Well it is!

I use the recipe I found in Joy of Cooking the revised edition-cause I love it that it does not have eggs in it-I don't like to use lots of eggs if I don't need to. I have made this recipe in the past with non sweetened soy milk, or coconut milk, or almond milk is really good too-but I decided the use of the coconut cream would give it the richness that regular cream would but with healthier nutrition-lower in fats etc. Also a little coconut flavor with the chocolate would be divine as well.

So copied from my cook book:

this says will make 4 to 5 servings.

Have your bowl or individual bowls ready, also have saran wrap ready too.

In a heavy saucepan mix together:
1/2 cup sugar (I used splenda for Larry, any dry sweetening would work)
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa-I use a very dark cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt-I omit

gradually stir in, making a smooth runny paste:
1/3 cup warm water-I used hot tap water

Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat, then remove from the heat For an especially thick and chocolaty pudding, add and stir briskly 1 ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate finely chopped or slivered-I used bittersweet chocolate and just took a paring knife and made thin shavings.

Stir in:
1 3/4 cups half and half--I used coconut cream (not milk)

Place in a bowl:
   3 tablespoons cornstarch
Very gradually add and whisk til smooth:
1/4 cup half and half--I used coconut cream (not milk)

Thoroughly stir the cornstarch mix into the chocolate mixture. (I place the chocolate mix back on the stove, stirred constantly til it got warmed up again before stirring in the cornstarch-thickens better that way)   Cook stirring constantly, over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Reduce the heat to low, stirring briskly, bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, then stir in:
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla-I used 2 teaspoons vanilla

Pour the pudding into the bowl or serving cups, and if you do not want a skin to form, immediately press saran wrap directly on the surface of the pudding. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

To fancy it up the recipe says to:
serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with grated chocolate.

My chocolate pudding is now getting cold in the frig.




Since I live in the woods, and do not have speciality stores near me, I have been doing more and more of my shopping on Amazon online. I choose items mostly that qualify for free shipping when spending their minimum of $25.00  I also find allot of items less expensive on Amazon too, although you do need to do some price shopping first so you know what an item usually runs. 
    I have found Amazon to be an excellent source of all things coconut. Organic and unrefined is the best for nutrition and they have coconut oil, coconut butter-which I just found out about for making gluten free pie crust, coconut sugar, and just learned about coconut crystals which is suppose to be a nicer product than the sugar and good for diabetic baking, coconut flour and on and on-lol  
     When buying the coconut cream look for made in Thailand, Phillipines, or the islands, read the labels carefully it should only say coconut, also do not buy in cans, but in those cardboard sealed containers too. I have been doing allot of research reading about coconut products and am converting over most of my baking and cooking to coconut now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails