Thursday, August 29, 2013

Making and Canning up Salsa This Morning

The guys were able to pick me up a box of what the Amish call canners for $10.00. They are not a roma or Italian plum but they do seem real meaty. I had froze most of my bell and jalapeno peppers already but I was able to pick a few fresh this morning-so I may need to raid the freezer for more peppers-which I don't like doing. Should have just enough onions.

A couple years ago I had found an excellent canning recipe for salsa-for the acid it uses lime juice instead of the usual vinegar-so when you go to use a jar-it does taste like salsa-I love it!

Here is my recipe: (copied from a canning post here in 2011)

Canning Kathy's Salsa
This is the best I have made so far-love the lime juice in this instead of the vinegar the recipe is a keeper!!


Description:
I just was not happy with my salsa last year, it was a recipe I had used before but I just wasn't happy with the results. I didn't like the vinegar taste in it, and last year the tomatoes had no flavor-which was a big part of it too.

I searched online for another recipe, and found this one-uses lime juice instead of the vinegar-so much better tasting (note have to put an acid in each jar when canning salsa by water bath method)

I will post the actual recipe with my changes

Ingredients:
4 quarts of diced plum tomatoes-seeds removed, I like to leave the skins on if nice

3 large onions red are good--I used yellow onions
2 heads of garlic--I used 2 large cloves of garlic
1 /2 pound jalapeno chiles
3 large mild green chiles peppers I used 1/2 pound of the hot banana peppers and I used 1 very large green bell pepper

3/4 cups minced cilantro I used 1/2 cup dried cilantro--really liked this
1/8 cup cumin seed ground--this was new for me to add in salsa but I liked it
3 ounces tomato paste--this was new for me too, but I liked this in here-gave depth of flavor to the tomatoes
per pint jar add 3 tablespoons lime juice

Directions:
Prepare the tomatoes-diced, and then place in strainer over a pot while you prepare rest of ingredients. I didn't get that much liquid in this batch of plums, and I actually needed to add the juice back in as it was too dry-so this depends on how juicy your tomatoes are

Then chop or dice up rest of veggies add all to the pot. add in rest of ingredients and bring to a boil, I let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

Have ready your water bath canner, jars and lids, follow home canning procedures.

As you fill each jar-add first the lime juice, and then when I took the tool to get the bubbles out I stirred it a bit.

Process in canner for 20 minutes, you will have two batches.


I am really really happy with the results of this recipe-loved the cilantro and cumin and I especially loved the lime juice.

Update: This recipe gave me 11 pints of salsa-I used my vintage wide mouth short & fat pint jars that I love for this recipe. and I always can up a few regular pint jars for Mr L too. He usually gives me the jars back for a refill-but I don't take chances on my favorite jars-lol  In the next day or two (once more of the tomatoes ripen up) I will make up one more batch, mostly in half pint jars when we want just a little salsa.

Just a note-I love having my labels on my page, but I became aware how much it slows down loading my page. So instead I found the gadget search this blog-so you can still find things like my recipes, canning, my projects etc. I also discovered I don't need to have all my go to blogs listed on my page-so I just listed 10 and at the bottom you can expand to see all-so that helped too for faster loading of my page.

The sun is rising here-which I can now see every  morning threw my bay window off to the far right-while I sit at the computer now love that!

Have an awesome new day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails