Saturday, July 13, 2013

Wild Blackberry Picking and a Gluten Free Blackberry Cake

  We have been enjoying the cooler mornings here (in the 60's) along with the cooler days too-such a treat compared to last year.

  So to take advantage of it I am either working in the garden for a bit, Larry's emptying our garden building for Mr P, and this morning I decided; perfect to check out the blackberries around the property.

   The patch off one of the paths in the woods was stripped clean of ripe berries-the deer love this one. We have a couple small patches in a nearby field amongst the wild sumac-but was not able to get too many ripe ones there-just about 2 cups. So I went to my favorite patch behind one of the ponds to see what was there. We needed to mow it down last fall to give the patch a fresh start. There I was able to pick enough to make about 6 cups total. Usually it is so hot here that if one does not pick by the 4th of July then we miss out on the berries. This year is totally different with the rains and cooler temperatures. The berries are ripening up slowly this year, so I need to get to them before the wildlife eats them up lol



I don't need any berries for the freezer this year, but I did want to bake up a cake and some for eating fresh.

  I keep a Betty Crocker Gluten Free cake mix on hand-mostly to use as a base and turn into other things like quick breads, or chocolate cupcakes etc.
    The add ins are not to my liking so I change those up always for us.

     Kathy's Blackberry Pan Cake

1 box of Betty Crocker gluten free yellow Cake Mix

replace the stick of butter with 1/2 cup coconut oil-softened

replace the water with oat milk-can use any milk for this or water

replace 3 eggs with: 1 egg, and 1/4 cup applesauce, and mix together 1 teaspoon baking power into 1 tablespoon warm water, and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar stir to disolve.

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.

add in around a cup or more of fresh blackberries along with 1/4 cup of blanched almonds. add in cinnamon or what ever spices you like

Place all ingredients (except the berries and nuts) into a bowl, and using a hand mixer on low speed mix til just blended, and then turn up speed and mix around 2 minutes or so til well mixed. With a spatula fold in the blackberries and the slivered almonds.

I took a pan that I had and lined with parchment paper and spread out the batter. On top I sprinkled on more slivered almonds and sprinkled on some cinnamon sugar too.

Bake at 350 degrees  check at 25 minutes and may need 5 or 8 extra minutes-do not overbake.

Delicious!



This would be wonderful with fresh picked blueberries too.

I happened to catch Miss Calico napping in this plastic shelving-lol-it's now up for sale at the resale shop.



Happy Weekend to all of you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails