Saturday, March 9, 2013

I Decided to Bake up some Gluten Free Cookies Today



Could not get going on my hand sewing, too windy again today to be outdoors, so I decided to bake some cookies; have not had any around for a few months.

Here is the recipe I found a couple years ago, from the Joy of Cooking 1967 edition: that I like cause it makes up a small batch and worked out well with my own gluten free baking flours

Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies
about 45  2" cookies
Preheat oven to 375 degrees f


Cream 1/2 cup butter-I sometimes cream 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup lite olive oil but today I used organic coconut oil-that I melted down to mix better


add gradually and beat until creamy---1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar. I have used 1/2 cup sorghum and 1/4 cup sun crystals (which equals 1/2 cup white sugar-made with pure cane sugar and stevia)  today I used 1/2 cup splenda and 1/4 cup of the stevia sugar blend


beat in---1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla you can also use a substitute for the egg as well.


Sift and stir in 1 cup and 2 tablespoons sifted all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. I used my gluten free all purpose baking flour mix and no salt and no sifting.


Stir in---1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips. this is where you can add any nuts you wish, and any type of chocolate chips you wish can also use gluten free oatmeal and dried fruits instead too. Today I used slivered almonds and dark chocolate chips


Drop the batter from a teaspoon, well apart, on a greased cookie sheet. bake for about 10 minutes.



Kathy's new baking flour mix:

2 cups brown rice flour


2 cups sorghum flour


2 cups cornstarch


2 cups almond flour


2 cups tapioca flour

mix well and store in freezer til ready to use I really like this flour mix because it is has more nutrition and proteins than just white rice flour and starches.



I also made up a batch of peanut butter cookies, and

used a recipe with no flour.

I used this recipe and was really pleased with it. I had

 1/2 cup of almond butter that needed to be used up 

so I used that and 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails