Sunday, March 3, 2013

Making Cherry Pies This Morning---Updated

 I haven't made any sweets for some time, trying to cut back a bit since hubby is diabetic. I still have 3 different varieties of cherries in the freezer so cherry pies it is today. These are always an awesome treat.

I am making one for our friend Mr. L since he drove over this week and took Larry into the post office, and of course will make a deep dish one for Larry. I took out enough cherries that I thought I could squeeze out a small deep dish for a gluten free crust for me-that way hubby can enjoy a "real" pie. and It will work out perfectly. (smiles)

Larry needs to re adjust my big oven temperature, so I am baking in my small oven, and can bake 2 pies at a time nicely. So the two pies are in the oven, and I now need to go threw and decide on a gluten free crust recipe for me. I still have not found one that I really like. 

I was going to link up to my recipe but I discovered it is one I did not bring over to here before multiply closed down I love using "cool" tools in the kitchen. My god daughter gave me a deep dish glazed pottery pie pan that is perfect for this pie. I also have a vintage pastry blender I enjoy using to moosh up the lard into the flour--

Kathy's Deep Dish Cherry Pie

4 cups pie cherries
2 cups rainier cherries-or half bing and half rainier
1 1/2 cups or to taste your choice of sweetening
1 tablespoon almond extract
1/4 cup quick tapioca-or your thickening of choice
3 slices of butter

your choice of homemade pie crust

Mix all the ingredients for the filling except for the butter, in a large bowl. Stir gently and let sit and make juice while you make up the crust. I make pie crust the way my mom, my grandma, and her mom made crust; flour- lard-ice cold water. Makes the best crust there is.I follow the recipe for a traditional crust in an old Betty Crocker cookbook

Put your pie together, and before adding the top crust top with butter slices. Bake at 400 degrees f for an hour and then check and make sure it has bubbled threw the air slits in the top pie crust. If I start out with defrosted fruits that are really cold when going in the pie it may take up to 2 hours to bake threw in a deep dish pie pan.






The Pies are out of the oven-look beautiful and my gluten free pie is in. I always make up little cinnamon rollups with the left over pie dough. These have agave, cinnamon, raisins, and apricots. I was able to make me some too.
    
 I checked a few online links for gluten free and bobs red mill pie crust recipe was the closest to what I wanted-simple-didn't have eggs in it and other things.

I used lard instead of margarine, used my own baking flour mix: this flour mix makes up a big bag of  gf flour for general baking. 
Kathy's new flour mix:

2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups sorghum flour
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups almond flour
2 cups tapioca flour

mix well and store in freezer til ready to use
 and I added in 1/4 teaspoon of xanthia gum for good measure. What I think really worked out better for me was this recipe used cold milk instead of ice water. So I put the ice cubes in the measuring cup and added in the soy milk that I had on hand. Using parchment paper on the top and the bottom to roll out the crust-this worked out great. Gluten free has no give or stretch like gluten flour so the biggest problem is getting it to roll out in one piece without crumbling-and this worked perfectly-for some reason the milk did the trick-yeah-I am putting it here so I will remember when I look for the recipe.

Here are a few photos of the pies out of the oven and my gluten free crust







 My gluten free cherry pie out of the oven


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails