Sunday, March 31, 2013

Update: This Pie out of the Oven Now---Happy Easter Sunday and Pineapple Meringue Pie




Pineapple Meringue Pie

 Pineapple Meringue Pie
One of my dad's favorite pastimes was making this pie. You never left his house without a pie or two to take home with you.—Lyn Benedict, Dexter, New Mexico











Ingredients

  • 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked

Directions

  • In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir
  • in pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
  • minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1
  • cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring
  • constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Keep warm.
  • For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on
  • medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining
  • sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Pour
  • hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling,
  • sealing edges to crust.
  • Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
  • Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours
  • before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.

recipe comes from Taste of Home


I have made all kinds of pies threw the years-and I have been baking since I can remember-and I have never heard of a pineapple meringue pie before. I ran into a photo over on pinterest a few weeks ago, so I picked up a can of the crushed pineapple.  Larry says he has had this pie in the past-and loved it. so I am going to make this for us today.

also on the menu I took out a ham that I had in the freezer a couple days ago. found a recipe for potato kugel to add a passover dish (I know doesn't go with ham but Larry eats everything lol) and perhaps brussel sprouts, and a shredded carrot salad

Have a beautiful day everyone-the ozarks is to have sunshine and be in the upper 60s today-awesome--we will enjoy today as winter returns tomorrow 





Changes I made to the recipe: I made a graham cracker crust and instead of butter I used grapeseed oil  for the filling to make it less sugar for Larry I used Splenda and when I added in the lemon juice at the end I also added a pat of butter-something I learned from the recipe I used for my made from scratch lemon meringue pie.  for the meringue I used sugar-cause otherwise the whites will collapse if using a sugar substitute, and added in two more egg whites for a higher meringue.

next up is the potato kugel which calls for eggs so can use the extra yolks in that-a new recipe for me too  I think I am going to take a walk in the woods this morning-


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails