Saturday, February 2, 2013

It's a Saturday Sharing Day

Good morning Saturday, to participate or to just visit Saturday morning blogs go to Pig Tales and Quilts

It's been kind of an up and down emotional week for me. I just got the news that a long time blog friend of mine now has cancer and it looks really bad. So have been praying for her and thinking about her. Our family pet Nikita of 15 years is losing ground, So we love her every day still, make sure she knows that-and will be calling our vet soon.


It has been quite cold here during most of the week, but looks like a little warming trend again-and sunshine. We always enjoy the deer and all the wild birds here. I feed cracked corn and seed every day-so sometimes we will have as many as 10 or more deer. It has been too cloudy for me to take a photo from inside our bay window this week.


Yesterday decided it was a good day for homemade chili and of course homemade cornbread.






Here is my go to recipe I found it years ago on King Arthur Flour's site:



Not Northern Cornbread
4 teaspoons bacon drippings or 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or a combination of bacon fat, oil, butter
1 cup yellow cornmeal divided
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup boiling water
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg lightly beaten
decide what fat you are using put into 8" cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in a pre heated 450 degreef oven while you prepare the batter.
In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk 2/3 cup of the cornmeal the sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/3 cup of cornmeal and the boiling water stir to blend. add the buttermilk to the cornmeal water mixture, whisking til most of the lumps are gone, stir in beaten egg
stir together the wet and dry ingredients mixing til just combined. Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour any excess fat into the cornbread batter (I always forget to do that part) spoon the batter into the skillet spreading evenly over the bottom. return the skillet to the oven and bake 20 minutes til its starting to brown around the edges and the center springs back when lightly pressed with your finger tips. (also test with a toothpick in the middle) remove the skillet from the oven, and transfer cornbread to a cooling rack. enjoy
For the size skillet above in my photo-I double this recipe. this also takes about 5 more minutes to bake.
for the cornmeal I use half cornmeal (a good quality one) and the other half I will sometimes use a toasted cornmeal, or a blue cornmeal, or popcorn meal  they are all excellent.
for us I do not put in the salt, and I use a sugar-stevia blend for the sugar.

This week I made several new soaps for my etsy shop



I also made more animal critter soaps for kids that I don't have photos of yet. I made one batch with lavender essential oil and the other batch with chamomile-neorli essential oil-these are just too sweet-they make me smile and laugh. I also made more roses with a really pretty sparkling red for the base and sparkling white highlights on top.

Hoping in the coming week to get back into sewing. Thanks for visiting and enjoy your weekend!



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails