Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Back Working on My Crazy Quilt Block



This was the last photo I took in May of last year of my first ever crazy quilt block. I am using reclaimed wools and some velvets, and put it together the old traditional way. I wanted to do this all my hand, no machine sewing.

There was a couple things I discovered I need to do differently on some of the seam joining with my velvets so I decided to make this into a pillow. I plan to make a foot warmer crazy quilt for the end of our bed using my wools, silks, and velvets-all reclaimed from clothing found in the resale shops.

I knew only the very basic of embroidery stitches, so with the help of a few really good books I learned all of these stitches. I enjoyed this so much that I am anxious to get this completed and start designing my foot warmer piece. About this time I was starting my handmade soap business on etsy, and all of my creative projects like this came to a stop for a bit.

Here is where I am at now:



At this stage I centered and hand sewed this down to one of my natural hand dyed pieces, a piece of mimosa on cotton. I will take an updated photo this week, I already started hand sewing down the borders around this block. If you check my tags on the right under crazy quilting you will find the posts on this project.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails