Friday, October 5, 2012

Banana Whoopie Pies

  I still have lots of bananas in the freezer-over ripe ones that are perfect for baking-so I am always on the look out for new recipes to use them in.
    Over on Pinterest I found a recipe for whoopie pies, recipe here  I think they look and sound delicious, and something different  too.



 I will change the recipe a bit to gluten free and a little less sugar too, so will post how they come out.  I need to wait now til my vanilla extract comes in from Penzeys. (I purchase all of my herbs and spices from Penzeys-excellent business, I have been buying from them since they were only one store-now they are nationwide)

  This blogger also offers a recipe for Sticky toffee banana cake that looks delicious too recipe here

Sticky Toffee Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

  I have been making my own vanilla extract for many years now, it turns out double strength and saves allot of money too. I am usually a year ahead, but when I opened up my last bottle it tasted more like spirits than vanilla. I think what happened;  I had run out of  fresh beans to add to this bottle and just used the older beans that were in the bottle-so not enough vanilla there any longer. Instead of discarding the beans, I just add to the bottles. I ordered some more vanilla beans too so I can get my 3 bottles going again. It takes 6 months to a year for it to be really good.

  It just now (5am) started hearing thunder off in the distance. so the storms are coming in now. We really need the rain, as we are still in drought conditions, so won't complain. The guys had planned to go out in the woods for turkey hunting-but don't think that will work this morning.

Happy Friday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails