Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Import Gluten Free recipes

Blog EntryOct 12, '10 7:59 AM
for everyone

Video here   From Farmers Almanac- I can't get their video to embed, so went with the link
Recipe here
and from Martha Stewart

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream-Cheese Filling  her recipe here

and I even found several for gluten free in chocolate, but this is too cute for kids, or grown ups too here
Halloweegan Leggy Whoopie Spiders

I did find a pumpkin gluten free-cute link, photos of kids helping to make these here


Blog EntryAug 28, '10 6:05 PM
for everyone
  I love these cooler mornings we are having this week, I slept in a bit this morning, cause I was really stiff and sore from my long day yesterday, but I did get Nikita taken for our walk, and I did work in the food plot for an hour.
  I met my friend Sandy and we went food shopping most of the day. The market didn't have anything, just baked goods which I don't buy-not the right ingredients for us, and no nice veggies or fruit. We did talk with the organic meat guy-and I may buy meat to can-stew meat with from him.  His meats are all natural and grass fed-the stew meat is 3.00 a pound-so I just may do that.
  One store I got lots of chicken livers for Larry's fishing bait, and  my nicest find was gluten free Bisquick!!
  I grew up with Bisquick, especially on all of our family camping trips cause Mom would use it in so many ways. However, when I moved away and started reading labels-I could not believe the amount of salt, and of course the white flour which I don't use any more. I think they have a healthier version of it now too
    . But in the gluten free section in Wal mart-which is acutally a very nice addition to the store for me, I saw Gluten Free Bisquick, and the ingredients are good, although it does have sugar and salt in it. Here is a link  http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/glutenfree.aspx    and they have a nice newsletter too, that I signed up for. So thank yous go to Betty Crocker! lol
  Here is their recipe for chicken and dumplings (the dumplings being gf)
  So I guess there is a big need for gluten free products now. When I first learned about my celiac problem years ago-it was very difficult to learn how to cook this way-so much more information and products available now. It's gotta be 15 years or more for me now, probably closer to 20 years.
   Another new item we found was from the Gluten Free Pantry-their Pizza and french bread mix. and I just found them on Amazon too-I need to start searching Amazon gluten free products cause sometimes they have certain items that qualify for free shipping plus being marked down a bit too. Thanks again to Endlessi for telling me about this, I had no idea before that they sold groceries
Ingredients for the french bread mix   White Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Granulated Honey, Salt, A packet of yeast.
So I am anxious now to try these new products. I have a very cool hand thrown pottery french bread pan-now I can use it again-yeh!
     I was also happy to get a couple 50 pound bags of cracked corn for the deer. I don't like them in my yard close to the house, but they come up anyways and eat the bird seed at night, so if I feed them corn back by the woods line sometimes they don't come up to the house as often.  They do know exactly when deer season is though, so once that starts we won't see them again til after that is over.
     Tomorrow I will be working up the rest of the wild plums, into a jam or butter. Our friend dropped off about 3/4 bushal of those sweet little pears. Will make up a pear brandy with them, and also test out juicing them. and then next week we are to go picking for the larger pears-so I will be busy again working up some fruits.  I am not getting the shower finished with these projects-but I can't pass up good free food.
  I also need to make up my 5 gallon pail of Laundry soap-I only have enough left for a few more loads. This is my second year and it still works out to last us for 6 months and I do alot of laundry. So I need to fit that in this week sometime.
   I am ready for some football! Any football fans out there? Larry does not like football, just me-so I watch my games-when then televise them on the big tv-lol, I need to find out when the first viking and the packer games are. As my readers already know, I have been a Green Bay Packer fan since '67, but I am a huge Brett Favre fan-so I watch him when ever he plays. This is his 20th year, so I would think for sure he will retire end of this season.
   Night all.  I think tomorrow will be another busy day in the woods

LinkAug 19, '10 12:20 PM
for everyone

Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/09/sugar-blues.html#comment-form

This is an excellent post on sugar choices, especially read thru the comments as well

Blog EntryJul 19, '10 11:54 AM
for everyone

note-photo will enlarge
This dish turned out sooo tasty I wanted to share what I did.
I also made do and used up what I had-love that too.
Kathy's Tofu Macaroni Garden Salad (just made this up just now-lol)
One package organic extra firm tofu
Brown Rice macaroni-I didn't measure-had 1/2 bag left so used it up
I used up fresh veggies I had in the frig-2 mini cabages-sliced and seperated, a handful of small fresh broccoli with leaves, sliced up, a bit of celery sliced, 1/2 fresh green pepper sliced
Newmans olive oil and vinegar dressing, Newmans caesar dressing
While you are cooking the pasta (acutally what I do now is bring the water to a boil, add pasta, put lid on, when comes to a boil again, turn of the heat, depending on size of pasta let sit for 15-20 minutes, stop cooking by straining and run cold water over)  cut the tofu in cubes and place in bowl.
I had just a little left, maybe a 1/4 cup of the oil and vinegar dressing and poured that all over the tofu-it will absorb the flavors and the dressing.
add all the raw veggies, add drained cooled down pasta, and I had about a 1/4 cup left of the caesars dressing so poured that on top-toss well-chill-enjoy.  The caesar dressing gives this a nice "bite" to it.
Happy Summer-enjoy!

Blog EntryJul 14, '10 12:13 PM
for everyone
Doesn't that sound good?
I have enough blackberries to make something like this, too hot for me to play with fire and bake outside, so now I need to decide if I really want to turn the oven on for a bit-I really have had a taste for this.
I have a standby recipe I use for this, and just use my gluten free mix in place of the flour, but thought I would check online first
Here are some links gluten free cobblers:
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/06/summer-blueberry-crisp.html
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/desserts/r/BerryCobbler.htm   I like the tapioca in this one
Blackberry Cobbler 
photo from here
I need to check back on yesterdays posts, cause Sis Trish posted a couple recipes too. This may need to wait til early tomorrow morning when its cooler-but then again----

EventJul 10, '10 6:50 AM
for everyone
Start:     Jul 12, '10 12:00a
a few facts on the blueberry http://asktheberryman.com/bluefacts.html

What's your favorite blueberry muffin recipe? enter in comments if you wish to share a recipe

I found this yummy looking gluten free recipe from Food Network http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/blueberry-muffins-recipe2/index.html

and from this blog a yummy photo with recipe for gluten free blueberry muffins as well http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2007/01/sweetness-of-domesticity_12.html

Blog EntryJun 23, '10 3:37 PM
for everyone


It is just soooo hot here heat index up towards 105 degrees again today-that these cold salads look so good to me right now

Serves 6

Crisp carrots, cucumbers, radishes and celery combine with fresh basil, mint and parsley in this honey-Dijon dressed rice salad. Served chilled or at room temperature, this versatile dish is perfect for al fresco dining alongside your choice of protein.

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups cooked long-grained brown rice ( Learn to Cook: Brown Rice)
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped seedless cucumber
1/2 cup sliced radishes
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed peas
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup chopepd flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Method

Put all ingredients into a large bowl and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.

Blog EntryJun 23, '10 3:31 PM
for everyone


I couldn't remember if I posted this one already, but this looks so good wanted to share.  I think I will make this for me next week, and add some cubed firm tofu to this for added protein

Serves 8

Summer green beans are here! Perhaps other beans, too, so substitute any of the three beans with what you can get on sale or from your garden...or the neighbors'. Canned garbanzos, pintos or black beans are fine, too, in this beautiful and delicious summer salad that works as a side dish or protein-filled vegetarian entree. Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is a light, whole grain with plenty of protein itself; once you try it, you'll invite it back to your table again and again

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked quinoa
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, cooked and rinsed in cold water
1 1/2 cups frozen 365 Everyday Value Shelled Edamame, thawed
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1 (15-ounce) can 365 Everyday Value Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup 365 Everyday Value Organic Italian Dressing
1 teaspoon dried tarragon

Method

Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain. Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Stir quinoa and a pinch of salt into water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and let cool. Put cooled quinoa, green beans, edamame, peppers, kidney beans, dressing, tarragon, salt and pepper into a large bowl and toss well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.


Yesterday I mixed up a batch of tollhouse chocolate cookies-following an original recipe, but changing the butter to olive oil, cutting back on the sugar by half and replacing it with organic sugar and agave and splenda, and using my gluten free baking mix (posted in my recipe file now)  I used ghiradelli  dark chocolate chips and sliced almonds., and I also added two tablespoons of very dark cocoa I bought from the amish store.  I also added a bit of almond extract in along with my homemade vanilla extract.
I have discovered that these gluten free bakery goods bake up better if you let the dough sit in the refrigerator overnight. a Hard thing for me to do sometimes lol
  They came out very delicious, because I cut back on the sugar quantity by half these are like little cakes instead of crunchy cookies-which I like better any ways-very very moist-a winner!
  If you are not familiar with working with a totally gluten free flour mix, the dough gets really wierd-at least to me anyway-it comes together like a glue almost real fast. So when I use the mixer I use that thru about half the amount of flour, and then stir in the rest by hand.
  Only thing else that concerns me, is all the ingredients in a gluten free mix are really high in carbohydrates-they are all whole grain, but I am wondering how they compare to a whole wheat pastry bakery product? I am figuring with brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, sorgham-those sound like alot of carbs, I know the sorgham is also high in proteins, and the brown rice flour is less carbs than the white rice flour.-I need to look into that, but then these are treats anyways, so will freeze so I don't eat too many in one day---giggling
Good morning Monday-still gloomy, cloudy, rainy here-a week is enough of rain-I am definately sick of it now

Here is a link to Ghiradelli chocolate-I only bake with their chips now, cause they are dark chocolate http://www.ghirardelli.com/
  

RecipeMay 16, '10 4:16 PM
for everyone
Category:   Baking
Style:   Other
Servings:   gluten free

Description:
This recipe started out as trying out my friend Endlessi's recipe, However I didn't read it right, so needed to make some changes.

Endless's recipe for baking
6 parts white rice flour
2 parts potato starch
1 part tapioca starch
Mix this up well.
When baking use for 1/2 the amount of flour recipe calls for, the other half use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix
following is mine

Ingredients:
6 cups Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix
2 cups Potato starch
2 cup Tapioca starch
5 cups Brown rice flour
2 cups Sorgham flour

Directions:
Mix this all together well, I put mine in a large ziplok bag and store in the freezer.
Use cup for cup in recipe.

I made my recently posted crackers with this mix, and I just mixed up a chocolate chip cookie batter with it-will bake that up tomorrow


Blog EntryMay 16, '10 2:45 PM
for everyone
This is adaptation from a recipe I found online.
Kathy's Olive Oil Rosemary Crackers
3 cups gluten free flour mix
1 teaspoon sea salt, or I like a good mineral salt for flavor
1 teaspoon cracked rosemary
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup virgin olive oil-robust full flavor one
Put the dry ingredients in a bowl, add the flour till crumbly, add in the water, work up til dough will stick together nice, I kneaded just a bit.
Divide into 12 small balls-this makes life easier when rolling out gluten free dough
Put a little olive oil on each ball, place in bowl and cover, let rest for at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
I baked on a stone
Roll out thin, cut into shapes, prik with a fork, place on stone.
Bake 10 minutes on one side, flip over the crackers and bake another 8 to 10 minutes.
I decided to place mine in a tin and freeze til I need them, and then will freshen up in the oven for a just a bit-when I need crackers. These had a wonderful taste, but then I love olive oil and rosemary together.
 This is one of those recipes-to use the herbs and spices you love the best.
This made alot of crackers-could halve this recipe easily

Blog EntryMay 16, '10 2:20 PM
for everyone

We finally got a break on the storms, so on the computer again for a bit. My grahams turned out wonderful! Would I make them again?? Yes I would, but I would cut down on the sugar a bit-a little too sweet for me. The ultimate test for me-will they make a good microwave s'more??-Yes they do yummy!!
Here is the recipe I followed-I will add later my gluten free flour mix recipe.
2 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix
1/2 cup brown sugar-I used organic and would definately leave this out or cut down
1 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon-use a really good quality cinnamon for best flavor, I buy mine from Penzeys
1/2 teaspoon baking powder-I added 1 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon xanthigum-don't need to add if in your flour mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda-I didn't add, but will next time
1/2 teaspoon salt-I omit salt in recipes
Place above in bowl, then with fingers blend in 7 tablespoons butter-I used 6 tablespoons lightest olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter for the flavor. You want this to be mixed in the flour like you would a pie dough-crumbly
Stir in 3 tablespoons cold water
           3 tablespoons honey-I used 2 tablespoons agave
           1 teaspoon vanilla-I used my own handmade
Add cold water a teaspoon at a time if too dry, Roll into a ball and refrigerate 1 hour, I did over night.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Roll out 1/8" thick and cut 2"x3" squares prick with fork, bake til golden brown cool before transferring to rack. bake 12 to 15 minutes.
I decided to bake mine on the stone, and it took longer to bake than this; around 10 minutes on each side. The first batch I got a little too thin, so more crispy but still good. The second batch a little thicker-nice treat for me-and gluten free. I will see how these work out in a pie crust next.

Link: http://www.ehow.com/way_5278532_gluten-graham-crackers-recipe.html

I love graham crackers-for smores, for pie crusts, just eating, this is one item I do "cheat" and eat a little of once in awhile-and I know I pay for it.

I gotta try this recipe-will make with my own gf flour mix

LinkMay 15, '10 10:34 AM
for everyone
Link: http://www.flour-arrangements.com/

This gluten free blog looks really good too-I love the way they display the recipe-would love the code for that

LinkMay 15, '10 10:25 AM
for everyone
Link: http://daringtothrive.blogspot.com/

I ran into this food blog looking for a gluten free cracker recipe-a really nice looking read-

quote from her blog:

Any transition can be a struggle, but it can also be an opportunity to grow and flourish. Since discovering I am gluten-intolerant, I have grown as a cook and as a person. In fact, I dare every day to live my life in a way that promotes strength, healing, and, most of all, thriving.

Blog EntryMay 8, '10 10:30 AM
for everyone
Just took this photo, this will be excellent in my bean soup, but if I were to make this again-don't use the flakes-this would have been a lighter bread with the quinoa being cooked from just the grain. I never add salt any more to recipes, and although I added some herbs, this does need the salt.
I posted this recipe the other day  http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/recipes/item/126/Quinoa_Cornbread_gluten_free
Since the house is cold, getting pretty windy out there too, and I have white beans and ham soup in the crock pot going;  I decided to make this. I have all the ingredients too in the freezer. and I am using a cast iron skillet to bake it in instead of just a pan.
The quinoa I have on hand has always been in the freezer, but it is getting old-several years now, and I have the flaked quinoa. So, this cooked up more like a porridge instead of light and fluffy if you cook up just the grain itself. It did break apart pretty good though in the flour. I popped this in the oven  a bit ago so will keep you posted on the results.

RecipeMay 5, '10 7:21 AM
for everyone
Category:   Baking
Style:   American
Servings:   16

Description:
recipe from Whole Foods Market


This gluten-free updated version of classic cornbread has more flavor and texture than most, thanks to the cooked quinoa folded into the batter and sprinkled on top. Plus, quinoa is a healthy whole grain! Serve squares of it underneath, alongside or crumbled on top of beans, soup, chili, greens or roasted veggies.

Ingredients:
3 cups corn flour (not cornmeal)
1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa, divided
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups low fat buttermilk
2 large eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1 cup cooked quinoa, baking soda and salt until combined, breaking up any lumps of quinoa, if needed. In a second bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs, add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan, spread out evenly and then scatter remaining 1/4 cup quinoa over the top. Bake until cooked through and golden brown around the edges, about 30 minutes.


Link: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-gluten-free-flours.html

A very good article on gluten free flours

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails