Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Import Gluten Free Recipes

LinkJun 30, '11 7:45 AM
for everyone

Link: http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes/desserts/c5971cb4-bb3f-47b1-a6de-03983a936f91?utm_source=gf_newsletter&utm_medium=email

I have found that the Betty Crocker gluten free mixes to be one of the more economical of the many gf products on the market now adays.

I use the yellow cake mix the most because the sugar is down (diabetic husband) and I can turn this mix easily into a dark chocolate dessert.

This recipe looks like a good one to take along to a summer eating event. I usually always take at least one gluten free item now when I go to these-because I know I will have at least one item I can eat then-lol



LinkJun 17, '11 7:58 AM
for everyone
Link: http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes/desserts/96e89f45-f308-4956-96cf-12d8890cb574?utm_source=gf_newsletter&utm_medium=email

Another fun summer time gluten free dessert. this one uses betty crockers gf yellow cake mix-which I have used and is really good

more recipes here http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes/featured?utm_source=gf_newsletter&utm_medium=email these come from my gluten freely newsletter


Link: http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes/desserts/fe222f2e-bfcd-485a-8a1c-f1d9f2236bae?utm_source=gf_newsletter&utm_medium=email

This looked really good, and something a little different. great for gluten free kids too


Link: http://karinaskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/12/gluten-free-cake-donuts-recipe-with.html

Another excellent recipe from Karina, these look really good and the flours are not all starch which I like, and low in sugars too these are also baked

LinkMay 12, '11 6:39 AM
for everyone
Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/05/whole-grain-gluten-free-bread.html#more

If you have celiac and not familiar with the gluten free goddess, here is another excellent looking recipe.

I like reading her articles cause I can identify with the same problems, in this one she states you think you have ingredients all figured out-and then something makes you sick again and you have to figure out again what is doing it. It is a constant process-good to read I am not the only one going thru this.

I had purchased a few gluten free mixes-I never buy mixes, but thought it was worth a try-cause just easier. However, all the ingredients used are pure starch-white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch-I got to thinking these ingredients are definately not good for my diabetic husband-so I have been on the same track as this entry refers too-working with whole grains that are gluten free-and not just all starch

LinkMar 29, '11 7:09 AM
for everyone


Category:Other
Description: It's the best chocolate cake mix we've ever tasted. Moist and rich, this snacking cake will get rave reviews in your house just like it has in ours. Just add eggs, oil and water, or butter and buttermilk. Makes a single 9-inch round layer, or an 8-x-8-inch cake.

Ingredients: Sugar, white rice flour, potato starch, cocoa powder, tapioca starch, sodium bicarbonate, salt, guar gum, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate.

Above is information from their site descriping this cake. I made this yesterday, and it is the Best cake from a mix I have ever eaten. Very very moist, and no one would ever know this is a gluten free cake. I used yogurt in place of the buttermilk, and oil in place of the butter.

I made this mix into 18 cupcakes. On the box they said there was 10 servings when made as a cake, with 19 grams sugar-I got almost double the amount of servings by making into cupcakes-so really cut down the per serving sugar amount for us.

Highly recommend this cake mix and just a note, even though you may not need to eat gluten free, these quality gluten free mixes are so much healthier for you. they include all wholesome ingredients-no white flours, no hydrogenated products, and no chemicals-and when you find one you really like--sooooo good. I needed to bring something to a party this summer, was looking at the ingredients in the regular cake mixes-and they were so unhealthy and I just couldn't serve it, so I went with gluten free instead.


RecipeDec 7, '10 4:25 PM
for everyone
Category:   Baking
Style:   American
Servings:   around 45 cookies

Description:
I shared this gf version in a blog post last week. I took a cookie recipe from Joy of Cooking cookbook, and converted it to gluten free.

I decided to post here in my recipes as well, as this is an excellent "base" for gluten free cookies.

I have made about 6 different batches now, changing up the sugars, and the "additions", and extract flavorings. This will be my new "go to" gluten free cookie recipe for now.



Ingredients:
all ingredients are my changes from the original recipe:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup lite olive oil, or I have found canola and olive oil mixed-very nice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
(change up these sugars to whatever you want to achieve for the flavor you are looking for, or use sugars suitable for diabetics-- I have used sorgham, honey, sun crystals, splenda, brown sugar)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract-or change to flavor you wish
1 cup rice based gluten free all purpose baking mix (not bean flour based)
2 tablespoons sorgham flour
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
(change this cup of ingredients to anything you wish: choco chips, oatmeal, raisins, currents, candied fruits, etc.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cream the butter well, then add the oil and blend well.

Gradually add in the sugars beating til creamy

Beat in 1 egg and the extract flavoring

Blend in the flours

Stir in the cup of "goodies"

Drop the batter from a teaspoon onto parchment lined sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or til just browned. cool on racks

I really love the results of this recipe


Blog EntryNov 30, '10 1:25 PM
for everyone

These are both made with the basic recipe from my previous post. Top one has honey and sun crystals for the sugars and gf oatmeal, currents, dried cranberries, slivered almonds and orange extract. Bottom one I really love, I used dark brown sugar and sun crystals for the sugars, added two big spoons of cocoa, and added peppermint, mint, and dark chocolate chips.

I know we all have our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that we have made forever. I grew up with the original toll house cookie recipe, and made that for many years.
However, getting older now and both of us having some health issues that I bake for, I have changed how I bake. I especially look for lower fat and lower sugar recipes. Most recipes just have way too much sugars in them. I have always cut back on the amount of sugar I use, and now I have cut back even more.
I also like making smaller batches of cookies at time, instead of the ones that make Lots of cookies-although when I do bake a large batch I freeze them now.
Here is the recipe I used the other day, from the Joy of Cooking 1967 edition.
Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies
   about 45  2 " cookies
Preheat oven to 375 degrees f
Cream 1/2 cup butter---I creamed 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup lite olive oil
add gradually and beat until creamy---1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar.  I used 1/2 cup sorghum and 1/4 cup sun crystals (which equals 1/2 cup white sugar-made with pure cane sugar and stevia)
beat in---1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Sift and stir in 1 cup and 2 tablespoons sifted all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.  I used a gluten free all purpose baking flour mix with a little sorgham flour, since I added in a liquid for one of the sugars-I needed a little more flour added to the mix
Stir in---1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips. this is where you can add any nuts you wish, and any type of chocolate chips you wish
Drop the batter from a teaspoon, well apart, on a greased cookie sheet. bake for about 10 minutes.
I was really pleased with this recipe being converted to gluten free.
 the mix I used is from the gluten free pantry     Mix_All_Purpose_Flour  I really love this company's mixes-no bean flours, no xanthia gum, just simple things like rice flour and a couple starches.

LinkNov 24, '10 3:42 PM
for everyone
Link: http://www.glutenfree.com/index.cfm/gluten-free-recipes.html

This is a link to recipes using gluten free mixes from the Gluten Free Pantry of Canada. Browse around-they have a really nice site. I buy by the case from amazon though-cheaper and usually free shipping.

This is my new most favorite gluten free mix company. Using mixes is really a new thing for me, as I have always baked and cooked everything from scratch-always.

The other day, I wanted to take a cake over to a gathering-and looking at all the cake mixes available I couldn't believe, actually I could-that's why I never used them-that they are just loaded with chemicals, hydrogenated stuff, etc etc. I decided to make a gluten free cake, cause they are sooo good, and everything is natural and whole grain in these mixes.

I just ordered their chocolate cake mix to try-


Blog EntryNov 24, '10 2:39 PM
for everyone
Below the gluten free pie just out of the oven.  I forgot to mention below that I made these cherry pies with 4 different cherries-bing, rainier, pie cherries from one neighbor, and another pie cherry from a different tree.

above cherry pie with gluten free crust still baking in oven  the first pie photo was made with organic unbleached wheat flour, and the cookies in one of my dough boy cookie jars-he makes me smile
We started out pretty chilly this morning. I decided to make the cherry pies, and make cookies first.
  For the cookie recipe I wanted one that did not use alot of fat in the recipe. In an older version of the Joy of Cooking book I have, I found a chocolate chip lower fat recipe. It used 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup of sugar, it also did not make lots of cookies. The recipe said around 45 cookies and I got exactly that-lol  Which filled a small cookie jar, and I froze a quart baggie full too.
    I used 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of oil. I used 1/2 cup of agave and sorgham combined, and for the other half cup I used splenda (cause Larry is diabetic)  You could also just use 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar as called for in the recipe.
    For the flour I used The Gluten Free Pantry's all purpose mix, and since I had the sorgham in there-more liquid-I added in sorgham flour to get the dough thicker. I put in white chocolate chips, and mint chips, and dark chocolate chips, and about 1/4 cup of finely chopped english walnuts They came out of the oven-perfect-I wanted the cookies soft and melt in your mouth-and that's what I got-lol
  If anyone would like the full recipe, let me know and I will type it up and post.
On to the pies. by now I had taken Nikita for our walk, and actually the cherries had thawed out a bit too much by now, cause I had lots and lots of juice.
I made the first one for our friend, the crust was perfect, but I am making it in one of those disposable pie pans so not to worry about getting my pan back-and these are not deep at all. Soooo cramming as many cherries as I could-I made a mess-with it spilling out all over. I put it on a rack that was on a cookie sheet with parchment paper to bake.  It looks good though, and hope it sets up ok.
On to mine-I had forgotton how much more challening it is to make gluten free pie crust. I have been "cheating"  in the past by using spelt flour, which is kinda like a fine whole wheat pastry flour,  (does not have alot of gluten in it, and I usually can handle it) but I am getting into trouble now by using spelt as my main flour.   Sooo I experimented today using the rest of the Gluten Free Pantrys all purpose mix, and going by their pie crust recipe on their site. I didn't let it chill long enough cause I just wanted to get the pie in the oven-so I had a really difficult time getting the crust rolled out and into the pan-without the crust totally falling apart on me.
Their all purpose mix and their pie crust mix are just a little different too. I had a little of this dough left and cherry juice with the instant tapioca in it-so I decided to pat the dough into a disposable pie pan, add the juice mixture that was left, I cut up an apple and put that in there-and have it baking too-I can taste test my  gluten free pie crust this way too-lol
So, this project definately took way too long, I usually can whip these pies up fast-lol
   I just checked the turkey that has been in the frig since monday morning-and it is definately not thawed out-so that will get set in the roaster pan with cold water over night  tonight.
Guess I need to decide "what's for supper??"   At this point I really have no clue-lol-we still have some barbecued shredded venison-I may just warm that up over mashed potates
  

Link: http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-thanksgiving-2010.html

lots more recipes for gluten free Thanksgiving dishes

Link: http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-thanksgiving-2010.html

This link will take you to recipes for a thanksgiving feast-all gluten free. The stuffing looks yummy too, as does her pie crust


Link: http://www.liveglutenfreely.com/Recipes/Details.aspx?recipeId=51ff0ef4-6d55-4acf-8d66-93651e4bfe42

This looks really yummy, and is made with Betty Crockers yellow cake mix which I really like. Only thing I would do different with the recipe is cut the amount of added sugar by using sun crystals which is made from pure cane sugar and stevia

Over the weekend Katie had brought me her homemade gluten free chocolate chip cookies that were soooo good-made from Betty Crockers gf cookie mix.

I was comparing Betty Crockers gf mixes with bobs red mill cake and cookies mixes, and I am liking Betty Crockers better because they are much lower in sugar-which I always look for too in the ingredients.


Blog EntryNov 4, '10 6:02 PM
for everyone

I just love this bread, probably cause I really have not eaten any bread for over 10 years, but this one is just soooo good.
I don't have the right pan for this, so I decided to bake it on a pizza stone. I knew it would really spread out, but it is crunchy on the bottom and the egg wash made the top beautiful too. Amazing to me, that this gluten free bread, tastes just like regular french bread.

Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies
2 cups brown rice flour
1 1/2 cups
arrowroot, plus extra for rolling out cookies
1 1/2 cups amaranth flour
2 T. baking powder
2 t.
baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. salt
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups Sucanat (or brown sugar from sugar beets)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup
safflower oil
1/3 cup molasses
2 T.
organic Vanilla Extract
safflower oil, for oiling cookie sheets
Decorations:
hemp seeds, dried currants, dried cranberries, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, and sunflower seeds.
In a small bowl, stir together the brown rice flour, arrowroot, amaranth flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and cloves, and set aside. In a medium bowl, place the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well to combine. Cover the bowl, place it in the refrigerator, and chill the dough for 1 hour or more. Using a little safflower oil, lightly oil (or mist with oil) two non-stick cookie sheets and set aside. Sprinkle a little arrowroot over a work surface. Divide the chilled dough into quarters, work with only one quarter of the dough at a time, and keep the remaining dough covered and chilled until needed. Working in batches, roll out the quarter of dough to 1/4-inch thickness, and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Carefully transfer the cut cookies to the prepared cookie sheet. Bake them at 350 degrees for 6 minutes (the cookies will feel slightly soft to the touch). Allow them to cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. Repeat the rolling and cutting-out procedure for the remaining cookie dough. Store the cookies in an airtight container.
To make Gingerbread People: Cut the dough using a person-shaped cookie cutter. Carefully transfer the cut cookies to the prepared cookie sheets. To decorate them: use two dried currants for eyes, pressing them slightly into the dough; squeeze one dried cranberry with your fingers to form it into a mouth, pressing it slightly into the dough; and then use 8 sunflower seeds to make the outline of a vest, or 10 sunflower seeds to make the outline of a dress, pressing them slightly into the dough. Bake as directed above. The dried currants, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds can also be used to decorate other cut shapes of cookies.
To make Glazed Gingerbread Cookies: Cut cookies as desired and bake as directed above. Prepare frosting and use it to decorate the completely cooled cookies, as desired. Allow the frosting to set completely before transferring the cookies to an airtight container.
Yield: 3 – 4 Dozen
Sweet and Spicy Mixed Nuts
 
2 cups whole almonds
2 cups pecans
2 cups walnut pieces
1 1/2 t.
onion powder
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1 1/4 t. garlic powder
1 1/4 t. salt
3/4 t. ground coriander
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/8 t. freshly ground peppercorns
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup unbleached cane sugar (or white sugar from sugar beets)

In a large bowl, place the almonds, pecans, and walnuts, and toss to combine. In a small bowl, place all of the spices, stir well to combine, and set aside. In a small saucepan, place the water and sugar, and bring the mixture to a boil to dissolve the sugar and form a simple syrup. Continue to boil the simple syrup to the soft ball stage (240 degrees, use a candy thermometer). Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the spice mixture. Pour the spiced simple syrup over the mixed nuts and toss well to thoroughly coat the nuts with the mixture. Transfer the mixed nuts to a non-stick cookie sheet and spread them out to form a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until nuts are lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and set nuts aside to cool. Break the nuts into small pieces and store in an airtight container.
Serve as a snack, or garnish for salads, grains, or rice dishes.
Yield: 6 Cups

LinkNov 3, '10 4:46 PM
for everyone
Link: http://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/2010/11/03/teff-gingerbread/

this looks really good, all whole grains and gluten free

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails