Thursday, August 9, 2012

import blog september 06

Entry for September 24, 2006 and Belgian Waffles-yum!! and waffle poll
  Here is the Belgian Waffle recipe I promised, and we like the best. Didn't care for the one that came with our machine, and also most recipes had way too much sugar and too many eggs. Found this one on Allrecipes web site-that is just a great one for searching recipes.  They had listed quite a few different ones for Belgain Waffles and Larry liked this one the best.
   I also usually make two batches, one in organic wheat flour, and one in my spelt. We like the waffles fresh better than after they have been  frozen, so this last time I halved the recipe.  Since halving it made for one and half eggs, this wasn't a problem since I was making two recipes at the same time. I whipped up 3 eggs and then divided those for the two recipes.  Could also add some cocoa powder to taste to make chocolate ones.
  These would be great in your Sunday brunch menu. I also serve these with fresh fruits in their own juices, or frozen fruit-thawed, also any of the no sugar jams that are available now. Fresh maple syrup is definately the best too-knowing it is a high sugar we use sparingly;  but do enjoy its addition. simply the best.  A no fat or no sugar Cool Whip will also delight! Enjoy
Belgian Waffles
this recipe found on Allrecipes site, recipe submitted by Bobbi Jo
I have also included my changes to this recipe.
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F)  I  use unsweetened soy milk
3 egg yolks-free range or organic the best
2 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F)- I use  unsweetened soy milk
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled-I use lightest olive oil
1/2 cup white sugar-I use all Splenda, except for 1 tb of this measurement white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt-I omit the salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract-I use my homemade extract
4 cups all purpose flour-I use organic white flour or organic whole wheat flour, or combination of same, and for me- spelt flour sometimes combined with rice flour
3 egg whites
Directions
1  In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk.  Let stand until creamy about 10 minutes
2.  In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup warm milk, and melted butter or olive oil.  stir this into the yeast mixture, adding also the sugar or Splenda,  salt-if you are using it,  and vanilla.  Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups warm milk ;  alternately with the flour, ending with the flour. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks;  fold into the batter.  Cover the bowl tightly with Saran wrap and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or til doubled.
3. Preheat the waffle iron,  follow the directions and bake. Enjoy!!
I always serve these hot right out of the waffle iron.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails