Thursday, August 9, 2012

import blog october 06

I am back in the house to warm up a bit,  before going back out to help Larry. Sooo thought I would share a few more recipes this weekend.
I love to collect old cookie cutters, stamps, molds etc.  I have a few wonderful recipes for those fun cutters.  This one would be great for halloween parties etc or to give out to family and close friends; using your pumpkin and witch, etc. cutters.
   Within the next few days, maybe tomorrow, I will post some muffins and my favorite bread recipe. Feedback welcomed!
PEANUT BUTTER ROLL OUT COOKIES
1  3/4 cup flour (for me I use my spelt flour, to upgrade to whole grain-use part whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour, and for lighter cookies mix with unbleached wheat (white) flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt-I don't use salt in my recipes any more
1/2 cup shortening-I would use lightest olive oil
1/2 cup natural or organic peanut butter-Smuckers is very good
1/2 cup sugar-I would use Splenda
1/2 cup brown sugar-I would not pack this and only use 1/4 cup
1 egg-uncaged or organic best
1 tablespoon milk-can use soy milk if you have some opened in frig already
Stir together the flour, soda, and salt if using. set aside
In a bowl beat together the olive oil, and peanut butter, and then add the Splenda and brown sugar and beat til fluffy-or more creamed together. Beat in the egg and milk. I might add in here a little vanilla extract-I love this in everything. Maybe even a 1/2 tsp of orange extract. Add in the flour mixture and blend well. Since I substitue the olive oil for shortening, may need a bit more flour. You want a stiff dough. If using spelt flour, may not need to add more as this flour needs less liquids.
Cover your dough and place in frig. for about 3 hours or overnight.
Roll out and cut into desired shapes. Bake on sheets in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes or til done. cool on racks. This is a softer roll out dough than you may be used to, so keep in frig between bakings. When rolling out to keep your cookies from getting tough, sprinkle board with powdered sugar instead of flour. I sometimes mix with rice flour too
Frost and decorate as desired.
I think ginger cookies are great this time of year too. I remember baking these alot when I was a kid growing up Here is my favorite recipe with my ingredient changes.
GINGER COOKIES-BIG AND SOFT
2 1/4 cups flour-I would use spelt flour for me (gluten free) or again to make more healthy use whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour and can mix with unbleached wheat (white) flour
1/2 teaspoon salt-I do not use any salt any more in most of baking
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup butter-I would now use all olive oil with just 1 or 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 cup sugar-I would now use 1/2 cup Splenda and 1/4 cup sugar
1 egg-uncaged or organic the best
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses-buy this in your health food section
2 tablespoons sugar-I would now mix 1/2 and 1/2 with Splenda
Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices together and set aside.
In a large bowl beat the butter and olive oil with the Splenda and sugar and beat til fluffy or light. Add the egg and molasses and beat well. Stir in the dry ingredients til well mixed.
Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls (about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough) Roll in the sugar and Splenda mixture.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart.
Bake in a 350 degree oven about 10 minutes or til light brown and still puffed. Do not over bake these. let stand for about 2 minutes before transfering cookies to a wire rack.
Cool. Makes 24  3 inch cookies.
I have also made these with the subsititution of 1/2 cup brown rice flour in the total measurement of flour. I like the rice flour as it adds alot of lightness and melt in your mouth feeling cookie.
This a little cookie I got from Mom, and is gluten free as there is no flour in it. a very nice cookie.  I do use all sugar in this one, as it is difficult to use Splenda with meringues-it collapes your dough-like right now.
MERINGUE NUT COOKIES
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cup finely ground nuts-your choice
3/4 to 1 cup sugar-I would use organic sugar to upgrade it a little
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Lightly butter and flour wax paper fitted to your baking sheet
Beat egg whites until foamy.
Add the salt and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff.
Gradually beat in the sugar. Fold in nuts.
Drop on your prepared sheet. Bake 1 to 1  1/4 hours til slightly browned. Let cool and then peel off the wax paper. makes 3 dozen.
These are wonderful, just pop in your mouth and enjoy!!
I will post one more for now. I think these would be great for halloween too, and they are a no bake cookie. This recipe comes from Larry's childhood, and one of his favorites. I have since made them again, and have also shipped them off to my niece who is serving our country in the Navy. These were a huge favorite with her ship mates.
NO BAKE COOKIES
2 cups sugar-I use 1 cup Splenda and 1/2 cup brown sugar-not packed, and 1/2 cup sugar-organic
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt-you know me now-no salt
1/2 cup margarine-I have used the crisco baking sticks for this, can also use olive oil too
1/2 cup milk-or soy milk
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter-I use smuckers brand natural or organic
3 cups oatmeal-I buy the thick ones from Bobs Red Mill-see my blogroll
Mix the sugars, cocoa, salt, crisco or what fat you are using, and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil while stirring and hold to a boil for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and mix well. Then stir in the oatmeal.
Drop by teaspoonfulls onto wax paper and let cool. When hardened I pack between wax paper layers. These will freeze well too.
I have also added some dried cranberries, raisins, almond slivers for 1/2 cup of the oatmeal measurement.
Do enjoy, and let me know which  cookie you like the best.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails