Wednesday, August 8, 2012

import blog may 06

Entry for May 29, 2006 and cornbread in iron skillet
 Happy Memorial Day!
Remember our fallen heroes. I am off to try to dig up some more of my garden. We can't seem to find the parts for our 30 year plus troy bilt tiller, so I am back to hand spading it. I used to do my garden that way anyway, but this Missouri soil is like concrete to dig. Oh well that is my challenge for today. Would really like to get some more seeds planted.
 For any of you with some seasoned cast iron skillets on hand, I am including today a wonderful cornbread recipe I found. It is from King Arthur Flour's website of recipes and it is just the best cornbread I have ever made. I must convert all recipes with white flour(which is really wheat flour and has gluten) to spelt and rice flour which has no gluten. This recipe is all corn-perfect. The method here for making it is just how you would imagine cornbread should really be. Can bake this in the oven or if you are grilling today, find a section on your pit or grill to bake it on. 4 tsp. bacon drippings or an oil or combination with butter (I prefer olive oil) 1 cup yellow cornmeal, divided 2 tsp. sugar ( I use splenda or just 1 tsp of organic sugar) 1/2 tsp. salt(I eliminate the salt in all my recies) 1 tsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. baking soda 1/3 cup boiling water 3/4 cup buttermilk (if no buttermilk on hand add 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to milk and let set for about 5 minutes) 1 large egg, lightly beaten (I always prefer free range chicken eggs) Preheat oven to 450 degreees and place the fat in an 8" cast iron skillet and let everything get hot while you make up the recipe. In a med. sized bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup of the cornmeal, the sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup cornmeal and the boiling water, stir to blend. Add the buttermilk to the cornmeal and water mixture, whisking til most of the lumps are gone. Stir in the beaten egg. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients, mixing til just combined. Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour any excess fat into the cornbread battter. Spoon the batter into the skillet, spreading it evenly over the bottom. Return the skillet to the oven, and bake the cornbread for about 20 minutes, til it is starting to brown around the edges, and the center springs back when lightly pressed with your fingertip. Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the cornbread to a cooling rack, it should slide right out. This will be crunchy on the outside and wonderful in the inside. yields about 8 servings. When I make this recipe I double it; and it fits perfectly into a square Wagner 9 1/2 inch skillet that is about 1 and 1/2 inches deep. Enjoy


Entry for May 28, 2006 and coconut cream pie
 Hot today again; will be in the mid 90s again. I caught up on some fertilizing of flowers yesterday morning, my lilies are looking so lovely, I have one that will be over 4 feet tall this year. I will take pictures as they bloom and post. In my blogs I am going to be adding some of my recipe creations that are suitable for diabetics, and gluten free. These are also great just for anyone cutting down on their sugars and enjoying a little something different. My coconut cream pie I made this week was a huge success. We treated ourselves to lunch out at a little diner and Larry loved their pie. The cook was kind enough to come over and tell me how she made it. Loaded with tons of sugars I knew this pie was way over the top for Larry. Here is my version.
Kathy's version of coconut cream pie
2 small packages of sugar free pudding-the one you need to cook, not instant 2 tsp. coconut extract 3 cups silk unsweetened soy milk (i like this brand as it is very creamy and delicious) follow directions and cook til thick. Take off the stove and put pan in a sink of cold water and ice, stir til cooled down. set aside in frig while baking crust. 1 package low fat graham crackers crushed 1/3 cup light olive oil 1/4 cup toasted coconut mix all together form in your pie pan and bake til just browned in 350 degree oven. Cool crust. To the pudding add 1 container of cool whip-vanilla no sugar, about a cup or little more of plain coconut. fold in well. Add to pie crust a 1/2 to 1 cup of cocnut to line bottom of crust, then pour in the filling. Top with toasted coconut. refrigerate till ready to us. Enjoy very yummy and this is much less in calories and sugar and fats than the original.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails