Wednesday, August 8, 2012

import blog may 06

Entry for May 30, 2006 and fudge and vanilla extract recipes
Yeh We are in for a cool down this week, but with it comes more storms. We need the rain still so we'll take it.
  Hoping to finish up on my latest raggy quilt today. My clippers are getting dull from all the quilts I have made the last 2 and half years that it is taking a little longer. But only have a couple more long rows to do.
  Today's recipe is my old favorite fudge recipe but with my own conversions. Over 20 years ago my husbands cousin Janice gave me a recipe for a "to die for" fudge recipe.  I made it for years for the holidays. It makes up 5 pounds and I kept it inthe freezer for serving and to bag up for gifts. Here it is  my way now and it is  still "to die for fudge"  I have been making it this way for two years now and have gotton no complaints.
Kathy's version of Janice's Fannie May Type Fudge
2 cups organic sugar
2 cups Splenda (not the blend)
1 cup unsweetened Silk brand soy milk (original recipe called for whoe milk)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (I use my own homemade version -see bottom of recipe for vanilla extract recipe  or can change the extract to suit your tastes)
25 large marshmallows cut up
1 cup butter (not salted)
13 ounces of dark chocolate bars (original recipe calls for hershey milk bars, look for all dark chocolate bars) break these up in small pieces
12 ounces dark chocolate chips
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate break up in  small pieces
optional 1 cup hand chopped walnuts or slivered almonds, or your choice
Note for dark chocolate at a reasonable price look for Ghirardelli brand of 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate-this is a good dark chocolate with less sugars or look for any dark chocolate (not milk chocolate)
Mix milk, sugar, Splenda, and butter in a large heavy saucepan. Boil for 2 minutes., stiring . Turn off the heat.
Add the marshmallows and stir until melted, now start adding the chocolates a little at a time and stir til all is melted.  Stir rapidly till all the chocolate is blended in. Stir in the nuts if using them.
Pour into a large greased pan, refrigerate, and wait until the fudge is set up before cutting.
I Like to use a 1 inch deep cookie sheet 12x16x1 inch
Makes about 5 pounds. I cut up and store in freezer.
Note instead of nuts be creative; add in raisins, or dried cranberries, or flaked coconut-no sugar kind from a health food source. etc.
Note for diabetics this still has sugars so must know your limitations.  With this recipe though, we have eliminated the sugars from the whole milk, and we have upgraded the milk chocolates to a healthier dark chocolate.
Next time I make this I will try half butter and half light olive oil and see how that works to cut down on some more of the fats.
Enjoy-but not too much!

Here is the recipe to make your own vanilla extract.  This is a great gift item and is so much richer in color and flavor than your regular store bought brand.
Vanilla extract recipe
1 whole vanilla bean
3 ounces vodka
1/2 tsp sugar
Placae 1 broken up vanilla bean, vodka, and sugar in to a tightly sealed bottle.
Let stand one month, shaking now and again.
May strain (I do not) into another sealed bottle
Any extract may be made in this manner. Example; look for organic lemons, oranges, etc and substittue for the vanilla bean
I usually make a real big batch of this. I am on my last bottle I made 2 years ago, it gets better with age.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails