Wednesday, August 8, 2012

import blog june 06

Good morning, Super hot again all this week, but we have storms and rain moving in this afternoon. My gardens can definately use the rain. Todays picture is from our friend Elke, this is one of her beautiful roses, Elke lives in the Netherlands.
   Hubby got lots more land tilled so I planted a big assortment of melons, several squashes, and sweet corn. I plant now mostly heirloom seed. They have a heritage and character, and also usually a better flavor. Love the idea of being connected to a seed that has been around since early 1800s or even earlier.
   I got too much sun yesterday so taking the morning off of garden stuff. I have a doctors appointment this morning, just a check up, and will do a couple errands.
   Our lumberjack friend surprised us with 2 big bowls of wild honey and comb, what a wonderful treat!!. I strained it for a couple days and looks like a couple quarts. Larry dug out our antique cast iron sausage stuffer, I cleaned it all up and put the wax in and squeezed it down last night to get more honey. I will try boiling out the rest and save the wax for other projects.
    Sharing today my pizza recipe. This is gluten free, (no wheat) so do try it with the spelt flour as the crust turns out so wonderful. Using different whole grains in your diet is always a good thing anyway.  I spent a week with my mom in Indiana last fall, and I told her while at the store to pick up a bag of spelt flour for me from the health food section of her store. I made cookies etc. with it, and also made this pizza. She could not stop raving about the crust.  It ended up as I pulled the pizzas out of the oven I got a surprise visit from my brother and a close cousin. I rarely get back home so was nice to see everyone.  The pizza was a big hit and a surprise dinner for all.  (can substitute whole wheat for the spelt if you chose to. In that case you would let rise in a ball in a bowl for about an hour to develop the gluten and then roll in your pizza pan.)
The recipe
This will make 2  12 inch pizzas I like to make it in a super large cast iron skillet. Is also wonderful baked on a pizza stone.
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
3 1/2 cups spelt flour-sometimes I use 1/2 cup of brown rice flour with 3 cups spelt
1 can or jar of pizza sauce I check the ingred. and pick the one with the least amount of salt
1 pound low fat mozzarella cheese-shredded
Choice of toppings-I like black olives, portobello mushrooms, italian sausage
Sprinkle the yeast on warm water, stir to disolve. Add 2 cups of spelt flour and beat thoroughly stir in rest of flour as needed. Add the spelt in gradually and just enough so it is not sticky. I have learned that it is very easy to get too much spelt in your recipe and then you have too stiff a dough and does not come out as well.
I knead for about 5 minutes. Since spelt has very little gluten you need to spread the dough out on your pizza pans and then let it rise for about 30 minutes or so. I like to use a cast iron pan with olive oil spread all around, then sprinkle lots of coarse cornmeal on the bottom and then stretch out my dough. On a pizza stone I just add the cornmeal.
Meanwhile preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Or if doing on your grill which I love to do too, get your charcoal ready.
Prepare all your pizza toppings. After your dough looks like it has a risen a bit (about 30 minutes or so) bake the crusts for 7 minutes.  When doing on the grill I make sure the coals are very hot, and bake also with the lid on. I check after 5 minutes to see how it is doing.
I like to bake the crust first to make sure it gets baked well before adding the toppings. I think sometimes the toppings are a little heavy and I don't like a soggy crust.
Take your pizzas out, spread with the sauce add your toppings and cheese and bake for 15 minutes and then check for doneness. May need about 5 minutes more.
This pizza freezes very well (if you have any leftovers) I just wrap up well in freezer paper. Heat in the oven right out of the freezer (minus the paper hehe)  for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Yummy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails