Saturday, August 11, 2012

Import Blog Grandmas Yellow Angel Food Vake

Blog EntryApr 10, '09 5:43 AM
for everyone

Good Morning,  Big storms went thru most of last night, I will turn the news on later this morning to see if any tornadoes touched down in our area.
    Nikita gets scared with these type of storms-high winds, lightening, heavy rain and loud thunder so she was in the house with us most of the night. I had taught her a couple of years ago; to go into the bathroom and lay down by my shower or tub area where there are no windows-so that way she won't see the lightening thru the windows. That is right where she went last night-lol  She is such an intelligent soul.
   Last night we went up to the "little store" (the only business here) for hamburgers and fries and picked up Sandy to go with. We have new owners now and they started serving meals-good food and also the town meeting place. We had never gone up there in the evening before, and we are finding out alot of neighbors go there now for coffee and pie or a meal in the evenings, so a nice place to visit the neighbors, and Sandy and I met another quilter-
Anyways; Sandy had asked me for my Grandma's angel food cake recipe as she was wanting to make it soon. I told her I was pretty sure I posed it here at 360-so would find it and repost it here. This is an excellent recipe-I use it alot in the summertime when fresh fruit is available. But, now that Sandy mentioned this, I think I will make it for us this weekend. I have large brown organic eggs in the frigerator too-and this cake to be its best; needs fresh farm eggs or if you can't get those than cage free, or organic eggs from the store are good too.
Grandma's Yellow Angel Food Cake
1/2 cup egg yolks
1/2 cup cold water
1 1/3 cups sugar-I use organic sugar now
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract-I use my own homemade now
1/2 teaspoon orange extract-I use my own homemade now
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups cake flour-I use organic unbleached white, or sifted or white spelt flour
1 teaspoon salt-you know me, I omit this
3/4 cups egg whites
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Beat the egg yolks and cold water for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Add the sugar and beat for 10 minutes with mixer on high speed. (this is where my Kitchenaid stand mixer comes in handy)
Fold in the flavorings, set aside.
Sift the flour you are using  and the salt 3 times. Fold into above.
Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
Pour into tube pan, and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
Cool upside down until cool before removing from the pan.
Please do NOT use a knife to cut the pieces, you will destroy this cake. Please use 2 forks to tear the pieces apart for serving.
this is fabulous used as a base for fresh fruit, a little ice cream, or Cool Whip
I found this photo online at photobucket, the next time I make this cake,  I will take a photo
angel-cake-ck-443475-l.jpg Angel Food Cake image by mypaleangel

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails