Wednesday, August 8, 2012

import blog gluten free

LinkNov 24, '11 8:06 AM
for everyone

Link: http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/gluten-free-recipes/

Ran into this site while looking up recipes-nice selection for gf

Link: http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2010/11/13/gluten-free-thanksgiving-recipes/

Larry is taking care of the turkey this year-smoked, so I am making up sides this morning, and do laundry to hang out too-just cause today and tomorrow last warm days to do so for awhile

I decided to try out my new gluten free bread baking flour mix today and also try out a very cool cast iron muffin pan to bake gf dinner rolls for us-I have pretty much given up bread the last 15 years, so delving into some new recipes.

this recipe looks really good, and will adapt my own flour blend to it



LinkNov 10, '11 8:11 AM
for everyone
Link: http://www.glutenfreely.com/bakerschallenge?utm_source=gf_newsletter&utm_medium=email

This was a contest using Betty Crocker gf mixes
Some of the recipes looked pretty good-but most for us have too much sugar in them

Good ideas though on what can be done with a cake mix-and there is always ways to cut the sugars and improve on better quality fats.

the photo is for sticky pecan caramel fig cakes


Link: http://pilcookbooks.com/

This is a link to the publisher of the little book I just picked up this morning while grocery shopping. I didn't see this new one on their site yet though.

I don't usually pick up little cookbooks like this anymore-mostly because I already have an extensive cookbook collection, and because I find alot of what I need online now, if I don't have it in my own cookbook library already.

However this one looked really good-It is called Make Your Favorite Holiday Dishes Gluten-Free Recipes. It is a small little book, printed in the usa, and I love it so wanted to share. They have a strict copyright on it so I can not share any of the recipes.

Why I decided to buy was mostly that I spotted their gluten free flour mixes-one to make for general baking and for baking breads. They have a chapter on christmas cookies, on making your own gluten free fried onions for that green bean casserole dish-and more. Lots of breads too. Had to share this, for any of you reading this needing a nice practical gluten free cookbook. I see lots of things I want to make already, and I love their two recipes for making up my own gluten free flour mixes.

I have been using up what I have bought already that is premixed, and will be trying these recipes

The price was 3.99 and it says to display til dec.13th

Blog EntryNov 7, '11 9:46 PM
for everyone
You know all these years going on 20 now learning every year about gluten free baking and cooking, I had just quit making gravy for the holidays. I never have eaten much gravy, but sometimes it's nice for the holidays. But how do you make it, what flours to use??
So doing a google search, I actually found several posts.
  recipe and photo from here
Here is one using sweet rice flour
Here is a recipe including a video too, using sweet rice or sorghum flour or both
checking on what sweet rice flour is I found this:
"If you remember our advice from last year, it’s to use sweet rice flour as a thickening agent. Be aware that sweet rice flour is NOT the same as rice flour, and it’s also not sweet. It’s just got a neutral flavor and a texture that works perfectly as a thickener for your gluten-free Thanksgiving gravy"  recipe here
and this too: 
"Sweet Rice Flour is made from glutinous rice (it does not contain the gluten fraction that is prohibited to the gluten intolerant). Often used as a thickening agent. Sweet rice flour is becoming more common in gluten-free baking for tender pies and cakes, It has the ability to smooth the gritty taste" from here
I am glad I looked this up, as I never would have thought sweet rice flour being the flour of choice here for gravy. I found recipes using cornstarch-but I don't really like that, and I have thickened up things with arrowroot starch too-but just not the right end product for my gravy.  so I think I found a new flour to be useful for me in my gluten free cooking.
 



LinkOct 12, '11 7:39 AM
for everyone
Link: http://www.flour-arrangements.com/

I don't remember if I have shared this blog with you already or not. I may have found out about from SeaNymph too-lots of good looking gluten free recipes here. She just posted a pumpkin pastry

Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-cupcakes-with-maple-cream.html#more

From Karina-always such excellent recipes


Karina's Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing

These moist and tender gluten-free cupcake beauties have just the right balance of pumpkin and sweetness, ginger and cinnamon. They're not too spicy. And they're dairy-free. Yay.

Ingredients:

1 cup brown rice flour or sorghum flour
1 cup organic light brown sugar
3/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
1/4 cup Almond Flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil
1 cup canned organic pumpkin
2 organic free-range eggs, beaten or egg replacer*
2 teaspoons Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract

For the icing:

2 cups powdered sugar, more if needed
1/4 cup chilled vegan cream cheese (or soft dairy cream cheese)
2-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, as needed

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: brown rice flour, light brown sugar, tapioca starch, white cane sugar, almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, sea salt, and nutmeg.

Add in the coconut oil by pieces, cutting in with a pastry cutter or your mixer's whisk/whip attachment, until the mixture is sandy. Add in the pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla, and beat on medium high for 1-2 minutes until the cake batter is smooth and stretchy.

Spoon the cake batter into the 12 cupcake liners and smooth out the tops.

Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for 22 to 25 minutes or so, until the tops are firm but springy. Ovens vary widely, so watch these babies and check with a cake tester if you need to.

Cool in the pan only briefly, until the cupcakes are cool enough to handle. Then remove them from the baking pan and cool on a wire rack for one hour before frosting.

Meanwhile... make your icing.


Maple Cream Cheese Icing

I used vegan cream cheese in this icing and it worked beautifully. It is less stiff than dairy cream cheese. If you are using dairy based cream cheese, I would suggest the whipped style.

Pour the powdered sugar into a clean mixing bowl and add the cream cheese. Start beating to combine the cream cheese and sugar. Add pure maple syrup a tablespoon at a time, just until the frosting is soft and smooth. I only needed 2 tablespoons.

Beat on medium-high for a minute or two until the frosting is glossy, fluffy and smooth. Cover and chill as the cupcakes cool.

Use a clean Icing Knife to frost the cupcakes.

Chill in the fridge briefly to set the frosting.

To store extras:

Top each chilled/set cupcake with a square of parchment paper, then wrap, bag and freeze.

Makes 12 cupcakes.



Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-cupcakes-with-maple-cream.html#ixzz1aTXUr8O3





LinkSep 19, '11 9:46 AM
for everyone
Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/09/gluten-free-rice-crispy-treats.html#more

Oh wow! I love rice crispy treats and Karina has posted a gluten free version-yeh!!


Karina's Gluten-Free Rice Crispy Treats Recipe

These easy no-bake treats are free of gluten, dairy, corn (use corn-free vanilla extract), and soy. But flavor? Flavor they got. Big time. Lovely, sticky caramel almondy deliciousness.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups gluten-free organic brown rice syrup
3/4 cup organic almond butter
2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 cups gluten-free crispy brown rice cereal

Instructions:

Line a baking pan with a piece of parchment paper that extends up the long sides. Set aside.

In a saucepan, heat the brown rice syrup over medium heat, and stir until it begins to bubble a bit. Remove from heat and stir in the almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract. As you stir the mixture, it should thicken and become glossy and elastic, much like caramel taffy.

Pour the crispy rice cereal into a large heat-safe mixing bowl. Carefully pour in the warm syrup mixture, and using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, gently stir to coat all the cereal.

Scoop the coated cereal into the lined baking pan and spread evenly, gently smoothing out the top surface. Cover the pan with a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper.

Pop the pan into the fridge to chill.

When the bars have firmed to the touch, remove them from the pan, gripping the parchment edges and set them on a cutting board. Use a large sharp knife to score and cut the squares.

Wrap and chill. Store in the fridge.

Makes 24 squares.



Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/09/gluten-free-rice-crispy-treats.html#ixzz1YPUNWcKV


LinkSep 11, '11 10:30 AM
for everyone
Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/09/almondy-almond-butter-cookies.html#more

Karina has the best gluten free recipes out there in my opinion. This is a recipe I would definately make-so had to share.


LinkAug 26, '11 8:40 AM
for everyone
Link: http://www.food.com/recipe-collection/gluten-free-cake

Lots of gluten free cake recipes here

Blog EntryAug 26, '11 8:29 AM
for everyone
The first day we hit a high in the 70s, I will be making cake-lol I have a taste for some baked goodies.
I have been searching for gluten free recipes that are not based on a mix-those mixes usually carry too much sugar and I can adjust that from a "made from scratch" recipe
One Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake. Photo by h.abear
Here is the flour blend that this author is using  http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-flour-blend-208061
and here is her cake recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/one-bowl-gluten-free-chocolate-cake-209764
I like this recipe cause it only uses one egg, not alot of oil, and I can adjust the sugar to 1/2 cup or use splenda or I just got in xylitol.

Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/08/vanilla-cupcakes-with-mocha-icing.html#more

This looks really good-and of course from Karina, all from scratch


LinkAug 22, '11 7:44 AM
for everyone
Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/08/karinas-gluten-free-pancakes.html#more

Karina has some of the best gluten free recipes that I have found, she doesn't use mixes-and chooses different grains and sweeteners. this looked really yummy too

Blog EntryAug 11, '11 10:49 AM
for everyone
 
 
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups Cinnamon Chex® or Rice Chex® cereal
  • 2/3 cup chopped dried apples
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Preparation Instructions:
  1. Line bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix cereal, apples, almonds and cranberries; set aside.
  2. In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter, corn syrup and brown sugar over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
  3. Pour over cereal mixture in bowl; stir until evenly coated. Using buttered back of spoon, press mixture firmly in pan. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to cut.
  4. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store covered at room temperature up to 1 week.

from here

LinkAug 6, '11 9:09 AM
for everyone
Link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/08/gluten-free-breakfast-bars.html#more

These look so good, and something I would make so wanted to share. here is the ingredient list:


Ingredients:

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup hazelnut flour, packed
1 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3 organic free-range eggs or egg replacer
1/2 cup real maple syrup
1/4 cup organic coconut oil
1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2-3 tablespoons almond milk, as needed
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips



Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/08/gluten-free-breakfast-bars.html#ixzz1UG37wjFT

Blog EntryJul 21, '11 11:06 AM
for everyone

I have had a taste for something sweet, like a homemade baked goodie, especially after seeing all the delicious recipes that friend Sea posted yesterday.
  So I checked online for ideas for a no bake cookie treat; we are still in the 100s here so no not turning the oven on still.
  Most of the recipes were very similiar, so here's the one I went by with my changes.
   Kathy's No Bake'ems
1 stick butter-I used half butter and half oil
1/4 cup cocoa-I used very dark cocoa
1/2 cup milk-I had condensed no fat milk on hand so used that
2 cups sugar-I used 3/4 cup splenda, and 1/2 cup stevia/sugar mix
1 tablespoon vanilla-I used my own homemade
1/2 cup peanut butter-I used almond butter
3 cups oats-I used 2 1/2 cups gluten free oats, and 1/2 cup slivered almonds
Bring all but the oats to a boil for one minute. Then stir in the oats, form into balls, let set til firm enjoy!
These turned out very delicious-and now I have a little sweet for the week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails