Saturday, August 11, 2012

Import blog apple brandy

Blog EntryAug 16, '08 2:38 PM
for everyone

  I think a surplus of apples calls for experimenting with a new recipe and making a batch of apple brandy-lol
  I still have a nice clean bucket with lid left (I found out the bakery department at wal mart sells them for 1.00-and they are food grade buckets with lids and handles-nice)
  I found this recipe online:
Apple Brandy
I made a double batch.
In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups chopped unpeeled red apples, three 3" long pieces of cinnamon sticks, and 2 tablespoons of water.
Cover and cook this over medium heat for 10 minutes. Now add 2 1/2 cups of sugar and stir until dissolved.
Remove from heat, cool.
In a large glass container (I used the plastic bucket) combine this mixture with 2 cups brandy and 3 cups of dry white wine.
Cover tightly and store 3 weeks in a cool, dark place. Shake the container every 3 days to blend.
After 3 weeks drain the liquid through a strainer and into a glass bottle. Cover bottle tightly and store in a cool, dark place for a least 2 weeks. Makes about 1 1/2 quarts of apple brandy.
My notes:
The apples I am using are similar to granny smith so skins not red. The apples we are going to pick tomorrow will be sweeter and red skinned, so I am thinking of cooking up a couple of cups of those, cool down and add to my mixture. (This is a pretty strong and sweet liqueur already)
Brandy is expensive so I used vodka instead. for the wine I used Beringer 2007 pinot grigio-it is what I had on hand. The bottle had 3  1/4 cups in it. so since I doubled the recipe-I used vodka for the rest instead of using 2 bottles of wine.
I placed the bucket into a small garbage bag and tie, and I put the lid on loose not tight-to prevent explosions-lol
  I think this will be quite good-has a nice rich flavor already
If you know someone that drinks the grolsch beer in glass bottles with the cool porcelain tops-ask them to save them for you, also can be found at garage sales. these make the best containers for your homemade liqueurs. Here is a link to see the bottles http://www.grolsch.com/
I will keep you posted on these brandys-thought they would make nice gifts for friends this holiday season.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails