Sunday, May 27, 2012

Very Hot Today, but a Nice Afternoon w/ Friends

We have been attending this bbq gathering with friends for the past several years now and it is now down to just a handful of people. Which sometimes I think is nice too because a small group of people actually have better discussions.
Our friend lives down the road in the woods too, so there was plenty of shade to sit under. One thing I have learned that down here in Missouri, even though the temp is in the mid 90s or higher if you are in the shade and there is a breeze-it is actually not too bad heat wise.
I brought my bbq'd beans that I made from scratch-and they were sooo good. I had been given an old bean crock from the friend who's place we were at, so I heated that up with very hot water and then put the hot beans in-amazing how long they held their hot temperature. I will post my recipe soon.
I also made and brought a really good tasting coleslaw-Mr. L had given us one of his cabbages and it was pretty small so after shredding it I remembered I had been given some fresh grown turnips from the amish that were sweet-so I shredded a couple of those up too and mixed together-for the dressing I mixed white wine vinegar with organic sugar to taste, added some celery seed, dry mustard, and little black pepper-very very good.
I had one of my pints of canned pineapple left and for some reason I decided I wanted to make a gluten free version of pineapple upside down cake in my cast iron skillet and on top of the stove too so as not to turn on the oven. We had that for breakfast-very good too.
So now after watering my veggies and a few flowers I am super hot, so off to make a big glass of ice water and watch a little food network.
Hope all is well on your end.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails