Monday, May 14, 2012

Kathy's Gluten Free Onion Rings

I developed this recipe-its sooooo good

Description:I read thru several books to get ideas on a tempura batter. I combined ideas from these and developed the following recipe

Ingredients:
First I want to share the gluten free bread flour blend that I used for the flour:
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup millet flour
1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
whisk all these flours together and store in airtight bag or container in the freezer til ready to use

My tempura batter

2 eggs-divided
1 cup of above flour blend
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking soda

one large fresh yellow onion

Directions:
In a wide bowl (great for the onion rings) whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the cold water
add the gluten free flour blend with the baking soda. I used a whisk to blend in the potato flakes well.
Beat the egg whites til just stiff, fold into batter

I used a combination of peanut oil and canola oil bring the temperature up to 300 degrees f

note: this recipe makes alot of batter, next time for the two of us I will cut this recipe in half.

This batter was an excellent tempura batter-would be awesome for veggies, mushrooms, and more

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails