Monday, May 14, 2012

Gluten Free Flour Blend-General Baking Mix

Thru the years I have tried different recipes for making my own blend, and recently have purchased different ones. I am not happy with the purchased ones I have tried mostly because you get less than a pound usually, is way out of my price range, and most have no nutrional value because they are based on white rice and the starches.

The latest blend I have tried, I am very pleased with, and this is also very nutrient and protein rich as well.

I baked cookies, belgium waffles, banana bread, and fruit cake with it this month to great success. I also like this blend because it does not have the xanthan gum already in it. I like that because depending on what you are baking the amount of the xanthan gum is different. If you do a google search on xanthan gum for baking you will find charts on amounts needed for cookies or cakes, muffins etc. I also posted a link here to one also.

and a note one can also use guar gum instead of the xanthan gum

Kathy's new flour mix:

2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups sorghum flour
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups almond flour
2 cups tapioca flour

mix well and store in freezer til ready to use.

the brown rice flour and almond flour can be made at home with powerful blender, or if you have a flour grinder can make the brown rice flour in there. If you have access to an oriental grocery store you can sometimes find good prices on the tapioca flour. I stay out of most health food stores cause they are just too expensive-major grocery stores are also offering these flours and starches too.

Happy baking

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails