Monday, May 14, 2012

Canning Wild Turkey Stock

Description:
I love wild turkey, no game flavors just wonderful flavor. This makes awesome turkey and noodles, or turkey and rice, or as a soup base.

Ingredients:
1 wild turkey-cleaned breast meat removed and enjoyed on its own
large stock pot
cold water to cover
your choice of herbs and such. I use celery chunks, minced garlic, onions or wild onions, a big handful of my own thymes, a tablespoon of black peppercorns

Directions:
Put all together in the stock pot with lid and bring to a boil. I then bring the temp down so it simmers. I usually simmer for at least 6 to 8 or so hours-like around 8 or 9 am in the morning to about 3 in the afternoon.

Strain out the stock to another large pot cover with lid to keep hot.
Take off the meat and reserve for jars.
I get enough meat for the 7 quarts (if a large wild turkey) with a little stock left over.

Follow directions in Ball canning book for canning. This MUST be canned in a pressure canner.

I took the photo with the jars hot out of the canner

a note-if you are like me and after a whole chicken or a turkey dinner like to cook down into soup stock-cook down the carcus and can up the stock for later.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails