Monday, May 14, 2012

Canning Blubarb Jam

Description:
Recipe from my 1964 Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook-if you run across this book-excellent recipes!!

My Mom has always made this jam since we were little kids at home. I will give you the original recipe along with my version

Ingredients:
3 cups finely cut rhubarb
3 cups crushed blueberries
7 cups sugar
1 bottle liquid fruit pectin

my changes: my rhubarb was frozen in 2 cups per bag so I used 4 cups chubarb and 4 cups fresh picked blueberries, zest of one lemon, 1/2 cup of Sun Crystals (which is pure cane sugar and stevia that equals 1 cup) and one box of Ball no sugar pectin-i love this pectin, and this year they are selling it in jars-so much nicer.

Directions:
Combine thubarb and blueberries in large saucepan, add sugar, mix
Place over high heat, bring to a full rolling boil and boil harad one minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add pectin. Stir and skim for 5 minutes. ladle into hot jars. cover at once with thin layer of paraffin. makes about 9 half pints.

I added the rhubarb and blueberries to the pan, added the zest and sun crystals and brought to a rolling boil as well. I used a potato masher and smashed the blueberries a little bit. After it boiled for a couple minutes, I slowly added the no sugar pectin and stirred in. this is important to do, other wise this pectin will turn lumpy on ya. I did not have to skim, didn't make alot of foam. I ended up with less product-cause I didn't use 7 cups of sugar.

I took this photo just now, as the buzzer went off while I was typing this up-to take the jars out of the water bath.

Note: It is no longer advisable to can homemade jams with paraffin any more, only can in a water bath-usually jams say 10 minutes in the canner,much safer. I remember my moms and my grandmas jams always had jams oozing thru the top of the paraffin and we had to scoop off the mold-when I started canning in the 70s I always put them in a water bath canner.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails