Friday, December 23, 2011

Yes You can Make Gluten Free Cut Out Cookies with Success


I followed the recipe from my 1948 Betty Crocker cookie cookbook for my cut outs this year. I always loved this one because it uses honey for most of the sugar. I decided to use my gluten free flour mix and also added in one teaspoon baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthia gum to the recipe.
These are a little tricky to roll out but they worked out pretty well. You must keep the dough very cold, so I would pinch off a small amount roll out, and the left over dough went back into the frig. til I had all the main dough cut out. Instead of flour to roll out, I always now use powdered sugar-it keeps the dough from getting tough. Some years I frost them, and I just frost over the powdered sugar, and this year I am just sprinkling a little more sugar over them-helps to keep them moist as well. For gluten free, I rolled the dough out just a little thicker than the 1/4" and I also rolled on parchment paper.
Merry Christmas Cookies the light dough
mix together thoroughly: 1/3 cup soft shortening-I used butter
1/3 cup white sugar-(you could use a sugar substitue here as well)
1 egg
2/3 cup honey
sift together and stir in: 2 3/4 cup sifted gold medal flour (I used my own gluten flour baking mix with 1 1/2 tsp xanthia gum, and 1 tsp baking powder and I did not sift)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt I omit
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
chill dough. roll out 1/4" thick cut into desired shapes place 1" apart on lightly greased baking sheet. bake until when touched lightly with finger, no imprint remains. (this is a good test) when cool; ice and decorate as desired.
to change this to gingerbread dough use 1/3 cup brown sugar and 2/3 cups molasses ( I always use an organic dark ulsuphured molasses) to replace the sugars. and replace the vanilla with 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon ginger. I also like to add slivers of candied ginger (a tip I learned from Sea Nymph).



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails