Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Canning Potatoes

I have always thought about canning potatoes, but I really have never had an abundance of potatoes around, and I wasn't sure if I would like them. When I saw that Sea Nymph had canned a big batch of them I am thinking yes I must try this.
I really have no storage area here at all for cold storage of veggies, so I only keep around what will fit in the frig, and in a couple of crocks.
We ended up with 40 pounds of potatoes this past week, and 20 pounds of it was all sprouting soooo today was the day to can potatoes.
Sea's method that she posted was a raw or cold pack method, but when I did more reading in my Ball canning book and online they all said to blanch the potatoes. I did find one blog that posted the cold pack method. Most sites said to bring to a boil for 10 minutes-I am thinking they will be over cooked if I do that. I found one that said to bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
So I compromised-I had two very large pots full of quartered potatoes and it's just me working this up so I brought both just to a boil and took the lid off of one pot, and worked to can up the second pot. These were a combination of russetts and yukon golds.
Another thing was all over the place for information online was leaving the skins on or not to. I saw alot of blog posts where they canned with the skins on, but I had read that this was a major no no as the skins carry alot of diseases. So here I went with peeling them and soaking in lemon juice water.
I can 1get 6 pints per canner, so I loaded one canner, and started on the second-I think I ended up with at least 8 to 10 pints more in the second canner.
I will post a photo when they all come out of the canner-pretty cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails