Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Smoked Turkey

Larry indicated he would love to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. So, when I defrosted the freezers yesterday, I had one at the bottom that I pulled out. This one I bought last year and the price tag was .88 a pound on sale, this year I still have not seen one below 1.98 a pound-so not replacing it yet.
Larry has a brine recipe that he always used on his pheasants before smoking, so we are using that. When I watched Thanksgiving Live on Food Network last sunday, one of the chefs says she puts her frozen turkey in her brine to defrost-so its multi tasking-getting brined and defrosted at the same time.
Recipe from Larry is per two gallons of cold water add 2 cups canning salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup pickling spice. So I got that going yesterday morning.
We have the hickory cut up in chunks already that we gathered from the woods-so thats ready to go as well.
I found on line this good step by step tutorial here for smoking a turkey.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails