I wanted to share a little venison, cause it is a healthy meat protein: "According to the USDA website on nutrition, venison is among the most nutritious meats around. It has fewer calories per serving than either beef, pork, or chicken in an equivalent serving". more here
I thought I would share a few salads I found on the net:
Recipe: Southwest Venison Salad
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 8 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 3oz venison steaks
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 4 medium-large roma tomatoes diced
- 8 tbs chopped scallions
- 4 cups organic romaine lettuce
- Place the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and salt in a closed jar. Shake until well mixed.
- Lightly coat a grill with nonstick cooking spray, heat, and grill the venison until done. Slice into 1 inch strips.
- Mix together the venison, beans, tomatoes, scallions, lettuce, and dressing, and serve. from here
This dish is found on restaurant menus throughout Mexico, but particularly in the western part of the country and in the Yucatan, where it is called zic de venado. This recipe is a good buffet dish, to be piled on tostadas or served with warm tortillas and habanero salsa. It makes an attractive presentation served on a bed of mesclun greens. Following are two variations on the traditional recipe, one savory and one sweet-and-hot.
- 2 pounds venison, cooked and shredded (venison is lean and shreds nicely, like flank or skirt steak)
- juice of 4 bitter (Seville) oranges or use half sweet oranges and half limes
- � cup finely chopped cilantro
- � red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- � cup finely chopped radishes
- salt to taste
Place the venison in a non-reactive bowl. Mix the remaining ingredients and let them rest for 15 minutes to combine the flavors. Add the mixture to the venison and serve immediately or refrigerate and bring to room temperature at serving time.
Serves 8-10 as part of a multicourse buffet or as an appetizer.
Omit the radishes and add � cup chopped green olives and 1 firm-ripe avocado, diced.
Omit the radishes and add 1 green mango, diced, 1 diced plantain and 2 (or more, to taste) serrano chiles, seeded and diced. from here
and this recipe looked delicious too Venison Salad with Beatroot,Apple, & Hazlenuts from here