Saturday, September 17, 2011

Kathy's Doings-Cakes-Quilts-and Miso and a Cake Meme


It is suppose to rain and be a little stormy all weekend, and has ended up being cool and raining all day today. We really need some rain here, so this is good.
I had everything ready to make angel food cake for Larry last night but I was just too tired, and it does take time to make, bake, cool etc, so actually somthing good to do first thing in the morning, and it puts a little heat in the house too, as we are not running the woodstoves for heat yet.
So I made the cake for Larry this morning, one of his favorites, using unbleached organic white flour with sugar-the splenda makes the cake crash so that's no good and angel food cake is pretty low in sugars actually compared to other cakes. I also took out some frozen strawberries to thaw-so he can have those over the cake tonight.
Well, I need a cake for me too-lol so I checked and I still had a box mix for gluten free chocolate cake which is really really delicious too, so I made that and tried out my new glass pan-this pan is perfect for this! I cut out some parchment paper to put on the bottom of the pan, so hoping that will help the cake come out of the pan easily-it is still cooling upset down-love those little glass feet-lol.
Last night I decided since Larry went to sleep early (he has been splitting lots of wood), I would go ahead and check my cotton shirt fabric stash and cut out another Turning 20 pattern quilt. One of our Wisconsin friends that comes down every November for deer hunting, got married last friday. I have been wanting to make both guys a quilt, so will make one for the newly weds first. I thought I still had alot of the blocks cut already, but I had forgotton I used just about all of them in Mr. L's quilt last spring. So this has been what I have been doing too yesterday late and today-sorting colors, and ironing all the pieces, and cutting them out for the quilt. I need 20 different shirts for the quilt. If I get this all put together before my Indiana trip, then I can put it on the frame and tie it like I did the last time. It makes it quicker for me to put together, and makes a comfy homey quilt. Time seems to be passing much too fast since we got out of the 100s here.
I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch, but was really hungry today, didn't really have anything around, and I wasn't in the mood for a protein smoothie today. Then I remembered I still had several varities of miso-it is amazing to me that these never go bad in the refrigerator. This was a staple for me during my vegetarian days and also when I was going thru the time period figuring out why everything made me sick-til I figured out I had celiac (gluten) and miso is made from many different grains so I buy ones that are gluten free-they have alot of nutrition along with B12 which has to be added to your diet when you are eating vegetarian. I love adding fresh greens from the garden to this, or this is a great way to add little chunks of tofu too.
So I cooked up some brown rice pasta, and made me a broth from the red miso I had-and voila-a nice hot soup. I forgot how much I liked this. More information on miso here


You Are a Marble Cake

Eclectic, inventive, and peaceful.
You are never willing to accept what's "normal." You live to push the envelope.
You find it hard to make up your mind. You prefer to have everything you want, right away!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails