Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pancakes--Made from Scratch-of course-lol


(photo from here)
I had a taste for pancakes this morning, so I made them with blueberries too. I have always made them from scratch, so simple and you can totally control the ingredients to be what you want or need.
My favorite recipe since I bought this book in 1970 The Tassajara Bread Book, I have adapted down to one serving, so I can make a batter for Larry and one gluten free for me. Soooo good.
#47 Whole Wheat Pancakes (page 92)
The original recipe serves 6 people-here is my version for 1 serving-so just compute how many servings you need.
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour and for me gluten free flour blend
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
if adding 1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon brown sugar or honey--or whatever, I used stevia
1 egg seperated
1/2 cup milk I use no fat organic milk, or a soy milk
1/8 cup oil canola or a lite olive is a good choice
It says to sift but I don't do that, I just stir the flour baking powder, salt, sugar, if using a liquid sweetening add to the milk.
Beat milk and oil into the egg yolks. Combine this yolk mixture with the dry ingredients only til just blended-do not over mix.
Beat egg white til stiff, then fold in, grease an iron skillet or gridle and cook any size pancake you like.
note-if adding fresh fruit, stir in just before adding the stiff whites.
experiment with any flours of your choice. so delicious, this recipe makes the pancakes so light and delicous, and of course I always have real maple syrpup on hand-since I don't add any sugar to the mix we can use a little real syrup enjoy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails