Friday, December 17, 2010

Holiday Recipe Share Fridays

If you like to join us and share a holiday recipe, please leave a link in comments.
We finally get some sunshine today, hope so, cause I want make up a few candies today. One of my favorites is my peanut brittle.
I love making peanut brittle, it always brings back fond memories of making it with my grandma on the farm (my Moms mom)
I have Grandma's recipe, but I also found another one in a 1951 cookbook, that I love better. I especially like the process of adding in the baking soda.
Here is the recipe from a candy book by Antoinette and Francois Pope in 1951:
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups raw peanuts
1 teaspoon baking soda combined with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 teaspoons cold water
In a heavy 2 quart saucepan cook the sugar, syrup, and water to 275 degrees F Remove the the thermometer and lower the flame to medium and add the butter, stir until dissolved and then add peanuts all at once and stir constantly for 5 minutes over the medium flame.
Place thermometer in the candy again and cook until the brittle is delicately brown or to 300 degrees. Remove from the fire and add the baking soda that has been combined with the vanilla and water. stir the brittle for about 1/2 minute until the brittle rises. Pour onto well greased marble slab (or large cookie sheet). spread with oiled spatula. when slightly cool, lift the two ends and turn over. With two forks or fingers (hot) spread as thin as possible. when cold break into pieces.
Makes about 2 pounds of brittle.
May also be formed in well oiled round molds. store in tightly covered jar or tin to prevent sticking.
I also separate layers with wax paper. Note: after the 5 minutes of cooking the peanuts, the next step is critical not to burn the batch. Sometimes better to go by color and not wait til it gets to the 300. I have been right on the edge of burnt in more than one occasion. also after flipping the brittle, work fast to stretch out as thin as you want. will cool down real fast. this is the first time I got to use my marble and it cools down real fast on the marble. Have fun!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails