Thursday, December 2, 2010

Baking up a Ginger Cookie-with recipe

When I was in the middle of mixing up this recipe yesterday, I couldn't find the ginger. It ended up taking me over an hour to go thru all my spices to find some. I had forgotten that I ended up throwing away a big bag of ginger this past summer. It had to be at least 20 years old. I keep most all of my spices in the freezers, they do stay nicer for me that way, but that bag of ginger finally had lost it's "punch". lol
I ended up finding a little container of it in my canning spices, I had bought some new ginger from the amish store-yeh! Can't have ginger cookies without the ginger.
In my folders of recipes I found this recipe that I had found at allrecipes online, and noted I baked up a batch in '06 and that they were good. Since I am making up small batches of cookies this year-I decided to use this one again, and converted to gluten free.
These are delicous-very moist
Favorite Molasses Cookies found on Allrecipes.com
3/4 cup butter softened----I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar---I used sun crystals
1/4 cup molasses--I used organic unsulphured molasses
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour-I used gluten free baking mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
and per my tip from Sea Nymph in the past-I added a generous amount of slivered candied ginger
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine dry ingredients, gradually add to creamed mixture. Chill for at least one hour,
Shape into 1 inch balls, place on greased baking sheets. Press flat with a glass dipped in sugar (I combined organic sugar, that I have a vanilla bean in, with green sugar)
Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned, cool on racks
Makes around 36 cookies

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails