Friday, November 26, 2010

Holiday Recipe Share Fridays

Good morning all.
and those of us that celebrate Thanksgiving-what do you all do with the big dinner leftovers??
It is usually just the two of us now, we did get invited to a dinner at noon, but we decided nicer to stay home this year. I cook alot different than the average, so it makes it difficult, especially for me, being gluten free, and usually too many high fat and sugar temptations for my Larry.
I cooked up a 14 pound turkey for us-a nice size for left overs. My favorite left over is to make up a big pot of turkey stock which I either freeze for later or make up, and this year since we are in a very cold week-I think I will make up the soup today. For the rest of the meal I really don't have alot of leftovers, cause I plan the meal that way.
We enjoy the big bowl of fresh cranberries that I cook up that I add in blueberries and mandarin oranges, sometimes grapes and apples.
My turkey stock recipe
For my stock nothing too fancy. I put all the bones and skin into a big stock pot and cover with cold water. If I have it, I add some celery stalks with leaves too. Bring it up to a simmer and let simmer for 2 hours. Let it cool down-strain off, and let it sit in the frig. overnight.
This morning, I will skim off all of the fat that has floated to the top and add to the discarded bones-and since it's cold out there, I will add it to the compost pile-which I know is a big no no, but some of the wild animals out there, and my cats can have a feast too, before I turn it under into the pile.
The day after Thanksgiving, is when I dig out all my holiday and cookie recipe files and decide what I want to bake. This year I am mostly baking for just the two of us. I will bake up the fruitcakes too, which are late this year cause I needed to order in the currents-which I have now.
I also like to make up some spirits-homemade kaluha, sometimes amaretto too. This year I think I will make up some chocolates.
If you would like to share a recipe for our Holiday Recipe Share just leave me a note with your link.
MamaBear Leftover Turkey Dinner
Carol Spiced Leftover Turkey Salad
Carol Hazelnut meringue torte with chocolate cinnamon mousse
I want to share a couple candy recipes that are from Larry's "Cuz" Patti
Walnut Turtles
2 cups walnut halves
3 tablespoons butter or Oleo
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips
35 packaged carmels
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
Cover baking sheets with waxed paper and arrange nut pieces in 28 to 30 clusters, space at least 1 inch apart.
Place unwrapped caramels in top of a double boiler, with butter and heat until caramels are completely melted. Stir occaisionally.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto center of each walnut cluster, making sure the caramel touches all of the walnuts-to hold them together. Allow to cool.
Melt chocolate with shortening over hot but not boiling water. Spread over caramel candies and allow to set before removing from the waxed paper.
I also have Patti's family fudge recipe
Never Fail Fudge
5 cups granulated sugar
4 ounces stick Oleo
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
12 ounces milk chocolate chips or a sweet chocolate
1 large can evaporated milk
13 ounces marshmallow cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine sugar, milk, oleo, marshmallow cream, and salt in a ver large pan-at least 4 quarts. Stir over a medium flame til everything is blended.
Bring to a boil and continut to boil for 5 minutes, do not mistake air bubbles for boiling bubbles, overcook rather than undercook. I set the timer for 6 minutes when boiling begins.
Remove from heat and stir in the chocolates and add vanilla then the nuts, making sure the chips are melted first.
Pour into 2 greased 9X9 pans
This fudge does not fail, and if you like, the recipe can be cut in half to make a 2 1/2 pound batch instead.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails