Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies-converted to Gluten Free

I know we all have our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that we have made forever. I grew up with the original toll house cookie recipe, and made that for many years.
However, getting older now and both of us having some health issues that I bake for, I have changed how I bake. I especially look for lower fat and lower sugar recipes. Most recipes just have way too much sugars in them. I have always cut back on the amount of sugar I use, and now I have cut back even more.
I also like making smaller batches of cookies at time, instead of the ones that make Lots of cookies-although when I do bake a large batch I freeze them now.
Here is the recipe I used the other day, from the Joy of Cooking 1967 edition.
Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies
about 45 2 " cookies
Preheat oven to 375 degrees f
Cream 1/2 cup butter---I creamed 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup lite olive oil
add gradually and beat until creamy---1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar. I used 1/2 cup sorghum and 1/4 cup sun crystals (which equals 1/2 cup white sugar-make with pure cane sugar and stevia)
beat in---1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Sift and stir in 1 cup and 2 tablespoons sifted all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. I used a gluten free all purpose baking flour mix with a little sorgham flour
Stir in---1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips. this is where you can add any nuts you wish, and any type of chocolate chips you wish
Drop the batter from a teaspoon, well apart, on a greased cookie sheet. bake for about 10 minutes.
I was really pleased with this recipe being converted to gluten free. the mix I used is from the gluten free pantry Mix_All_Purpose_Flour I really love this company's mixes-no bean flours, no xanthia gum, just simple things like rice flour and a couple starches.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails