Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Baking Today


above cherry pie with gluten free crust still baking in oven the first pie photo was made with organic unbleached wheat flour, and the cookies in one of my dough boy cookie jars-he makes me smile

We started out pretty chilly this morning. I decided to make the cherry pies, and make cookies first.
For the cookie recipe I wanted one that did not use alot of fat in the recipe. In an older version of the Joy of Cooking book I have, I found a chocolate chip lower fat recipe. It used 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup of sugar, it also did not make lots of cookies. The recipe said around 45 cookies and I got exactly that-lol Which filled a small cookie jar, and I froze a quart baggie full too.
I used 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of oil. I used 1/2 cup of agave and sorgham combined, and for the other half cup I used splenda (cause Larry is diabetic) You could also just use 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar as called for in the recipe.
For the flour I used The Gluten Free Pantry's all purpose mix, and since I had the sorgham in there-more liquid-I added in sorgham flour to get the dough thicker. I put in white chocolate chips, and mint chips, and dark chocolate chips, and about 1/4 cup of finely chopped english walnuts They came out of the oven-perfect-I wanted the cookies soft and melt in your mouth-and that's what I got-lol
If anyone would like the full recipe, let me know and I will type it up and post.
On to the pies. by now I had taken Nikita for our walk, and actually the cherries had thawed out a bit too much by now, cause I had lots and lots of juice.
I made the first one for our friend, the crust was perfect, but I am making it in one of those disposable pie pans so not to worry about getting my pan back-and these are not deep at all. Soooo cramming as many cherries as I could-I made a mess-with it spilling out all over. I put it on a rack that was on a cookie sheet with parchment paper to bake. It looks good though, and hope it sets up ok.
On to mine-I had forgotton how much more challening it is to make gluten free pie crust. I have been "cheating" in the past by using spelt flour, which is kinda like a fine whole wheat pastry flour, (does not have alot of gluten in it, and I usually can handle it) but I am getting into trouble now by using spelt as my main flour. Sooo I experimented today using the rest of the Gluten Free Pantrys all purpose mix, and going by their pie crust recipe on their site. I didn't let it chill long enough cause I just wanted to get the pie in the oven-so I had a really difficult time getting the crust rolled out and into the pan-without the crust totally falling apart on me.
Their all purpose mix and their pie crust mix are just a little different too. I had a little of this dough left and cherry juice with the instant tapioca in it-so I decided to pat the dough into a disposable pie pan, add the juice mixture that was left, I cut up an apple and put that in there-and have it baking too-I can taste test my gluten free pie crust this way too-lol
So, this project definately took way too long, I usually can whip these pies up fast-lol
I just checked the turkey that has been in the frig since monday morning-and it is definately not thawed out-so that will get set in the roaster pan with cold water over night tonight.
Guess I need to decide "what's for supper??"


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails