Friday, October 1, 2010

My "Doings" here in the Ozarks

Today is the last of the gorgoeus string of fall days for this week for a bit. Will be sunny and in the mid 70's when it heats up today.

There is a cold front on it's way, and possible frost monday or tuesday-so still the abnormal weather going on here. We don't usually get a killing frost here for 2-3 more weeks. and the temps will be quite cool during the day time next week too. Not looking forward to that right now, since I can't carry firewood in.

Soooo since I still can't walk all day in shoes yet cause of my bad toe (which doesn't seem to be improving), I am not able to go to the swap today, but I need a fun project for myself.

I needed to go to town too, but really didn't think I was up to that myself either-and why waste a gorgeous day food shopping--lol

A couple years ago I learned by reading some dyer's blogs over on blogpost about how to mordant cottons to prepare for dyeing with natural plant materials. I found the source thru them of what to buy, and haven't been able to try this yet.

Getting all my stuff together was a chore, cause I had to get up on chairs to reach high shelves-lol-but I got it all together, and just to mordant the fabric is quite a process. But I am going to do that this morning. Since it is a couple hour project in two steps I decided to use my older canning water bath kettle to go ahead and mordant alot of cotton pieces. I can keep them in ziplok bags and store in the frig. til I get everything dyed-which I think will take a couple days. The dyeing is the fun part-(and after mordanting the cotton-needs to stay damp)

I have a porcelein pot I have saved out for my dye projects, but it is not big enough so will need to label this canning kettle as dye pot now. (after using utensils for dye-can not go back and use them for food.)

I picked all the marigold flowers, and I do have some of those in bags in the freezer I can add to if I need more. I am also going to go out and gather some goldenrod to get that gorgeous yellow. I also have yellow onion skins I have been saving for this too, but I don't know if I have enough for more than one piece.

and for breaks I am going to check out all those quilting giveaways, check my last link-there is about 150 bloggers and business's giving away fun quilt stuff.

How is the weather by you all? Hope the storms have finally passed on the east coast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails