Monday, October 4, 2010

Hand Dye Project Recap

First of all my inspiration and knowledge for techniques of natural dye-especially on cottons:
http://growingcolour.blogspot.com/ Helen
http://www.jennydean.co.uk/wordpress/ Jenny
I have quite a big collection of books on the subject starting back in the 70s, my newest and ones that really explain the "nitty gritty" are:
Wild Color by Jenny Dean-which is just now back in print
The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing, Traditional Recipes for Modern Use by J.N. Liles
and a favorite from the 90s A Dyer's Garden by Rita Buchanan
The process for mordanting cottons is in The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing book, and I also learned from Helen about EarthHues-where I bought what I needed for mordanting cottons and I went by the owner's instructions. On her site is a technical page with good information, she gives you a detailed recipe when you buy supplies from her.
The fabric I used for this project was 100% cottons used in quilting-muslins, printed backings with little prints, kona, whites, a couple tans

I redid my slideshow-and don't know how to post them here, I use cross over from Mulitply here is a link to the slideshow of this project

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails