Classic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 40 minutes (with chilling)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 pints ice cream (any flavor), softened slightly
1. Preheat oven to 350�F. Butter a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet; line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the two shorter sides.
2. Whisk together butter and sugar; whisk in egg, vanilla, and salt until combined. Add flour and cocoa, and mix just until smooth. Spread in prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake until cake is dry to the touch and edges begin to pull away from the sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
3. Using paper overhang, lift cake onto a work surface. With a serrated knife, halve crosswise. Place one half of cake, flat side down, on a large piece of plastic wrap. Spread with ice cream, smoothing with an offset spatula, then top with remaining half of cake, cut side down. Return assembled dessert to baking pan, and wrap tightly in plastic. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
4. Unwrap; using a serrated knife, cut into 8 rectangles, wiping blade with a damp kitchen towel between each slice. Serve immediately (or freeze, wrapped individually in plastic, up to 1 week).
In Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast, time-pressed home cooks will find 250 delicious recipes from Martha Stewart that focus on easy-to-find ingredients and no-fuss preparation. You'll get plenty of tips on stretching meals and healthier versions of comfort food that still taste divine