Sunday, August 15, 2010

Kathy's Watermelon Jam

I started out checking my friend Ebjo's recipe again, and then browsed online too. There were alot of recipes. Some said to cube the watermelon and then sprinkle with pickling salt, let set for 4-5 hours-rinse in cold water, and then soak in cold water for an hour. and then proceed. I really don't want to do all that.

Most used alot of sugar, almost as much sugar as fruit, some lemon juice and cook down til thick. Some used pectin, some did not. Soooo I decided to just do my one thing-lol

We had watermelon from a home garden, due to our hot temps here and no rain they were not prime, but the good parts had good flavor. So I cut up 8 cups of watermelon, added in about 1/4 cup organic sugar, a couple tablespoons of lemon juice, and lemon zest too.

I cooked this down for 2 hours, about midway I decided to add a big slice of candied ginger for flavor. This tastes wonderful, but the watermelon was still too hard. So I turned it off. Made supper, was going to wait til tomorrow but since I am waiting for a show on food network at 8 pm, decided to go ahead with this.

I put the watermelon in my vita mix, and the first half I liquefied, and the rest, I blended a little less so I would still have some watermelon pieces in there.

I brought it back to a boil, and added in the no sugar pectin from Ball; slowly whisking in well. bring back to a boil, while waiting for the canner to come to a boil

taste testing-yummy this is really good you guys-took out the ginger slice so don't can that up by accident-I love the flavor and very smooth and clean tasting, not too sweet.

To can, I put in 1/2 pints and got 5 jars. Process in water bath canner 10 minutes.

I would suggest if you want to make this, just sweeten as much as you want, with sugar or agave or sun crystals has a small bag out now of stevia and sugar-I forgot I had that or would have used instead of sugar. for the spices-the crystallized ginger added just a little flavor, you could add cinnamon but I did not want to use cinnamon in this or any other spice you like-but just a bit. and you should add an acid like lemon juice or lime juice, or perhaps a wine vinegar, or even a nice wine-and just do it and have fun creating with with it.

and I finished just in time for the Next Food Network Star-lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails