Saturday, July 24, 2010

Good Morning Saturday

I got a couple fresh zucchini from a neighbor, so have been wanting to make a zucchini bread, either early or late in the day-due to the hot weather here.
Only one zucchini was good, veggies not too good here with the extreme temps, but was just enough for one recipe.
I am baking in the mini angel food cake pan my Mom gave me last year-the pan I use now for these types of breads. They bake up so much nicer-and never raw in the middle or over done on the outside edges.
Photo is of the bread ready to go in the oven, will update with "baked" photo-lol
I adapted a recipe from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking Cookbook. ( I love their cookbooks)
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour, or white (pastry) whole wheat flour I used spelt flour
1 cup unbleached bread flour I used my gluten free flour mix (see my recipes)
3/4 cup sugar I used 1/4 organic sugar and 1/2 cup splenda (baking for diabetic)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt I omit
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg I also added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs I used farm fresh eggs
3/4 cup milk I used unsweetened Silk Soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil I used very light olive oil
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts I used very fine unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease 9x5 inch loaf pan
Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg in large bowl
Whisk the eggs, milk, oil in small bowl.
Stir into the dry ingredients until just evenly moistened
Stir in the zucchini, raisins, walnuts, zest.
Pour into prepared pan
Bake 1 hour. Check the top if its wet looking and wobbles when you touch it, tent the bread loosely with foil and bake until it tests clean in the center about 10 to 15 minutes more
remove the bread from oven and cool in the pan for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. place on rack to finish cooling.

I am going to serve this with cream cheese, and fresh fruit I have a bowl of sliced peaches, fresh blueberries, rainier cherries with a touch of honey stired in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails