Monday, June 21, 2010

A little Doings and more Strawberries

My friend and I went to town early this morning, I needed to do a bunch of shopping for us. By the time we got out of the store around 10:30 am I was so glad I brought the cooler for our ice cream and milk and cheeses. It was already a sauna outside.
I really do not care for this kind of extreme heat, but not much I can do about it-lol
Larry was going back to the Amish sawmills with his friend, so he checked out the food store again. They still had a few of those wonderful strawberries left. I hadn't realized it, but the flats of 8 boxes-a pound each-were really a bargain as they sold for 5.00, or individual boxes were .99 each-so he bought another flat for us to put up, and one for friend Sandy. Just got finished cleaning them, and slicing them up and sprinkled with organic sugar that I had a vanilla bean in-very nice. I needed a bit of a break before I put them up in pints. This will be a really nice addition to our fruits in the freezer.
While at the store I went down the canning aisle and picked up a couple boxes of pectin that doesn't need sugar to jell, and I also picked up a couple boxes of 1/2 pints. I thought I might make some pickled cherries and a few fun things like that this year, and if we get a good crop of blackberries-which are going to burn up if we dont get some more rain-may try a batch of jams with this pectin.
I also picked up a couple bottles of the white wine vinegar to try some fruit vinegars with.
Well, I am off to get the strawberries in the freezer.
Happy First day of Summer! I think I could go for that margarita about now-lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails