Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

We finally got a break on the storms, so on the computer again for a bit. My grahams turned out wonderful! Would I make them again?? Yes I would, but I would cut down on the sugar a bit-a little too sweet for me. The ultimate test for me-will they make a good microwave s'more??-Yes they do yummy!!

Here is the recipe I followed-I will add later my gluten free flour mix recipe.

2 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix

1/2 cup brown sugar-I used organic and would definately leave this out or cut down

1 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon-use a really good quality cinnamon for best flavor, I buy mine from Penzeys

1/2 teaspoon baking powder-I added 1 teaspoon

1/2 teaspoon xanthigum-don't need to add if in your flour mix

1/2 teaspoon baking soda-I didn't add, but will next time

1/2 teaspoon salt-I omit salt in recipes

Place above in bowl, then with fingers blend in 7 tablespoons butter-I used 6 tablespoons lightest olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter for the flavor. You want this to be mixed in the flour like you would a pie dough-crumbly

Stir in 3 tablespoons cold water

3 tablespoons honey-I used 2 tablespoons agave

1 teaspoon vanilla-I used my own handmade

Add cold water a teaspoon at a time if too dry, Roll into a ball and refrigerate 1 hour, I did over night.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Roll out 1/8" thick and cut 2"x3" squares prick with fork, bake til golden brown cool before transferring to rack. bake 12 to 15 minutes.

I decided to bake mine on the stone, and it took longer to bake than this; around 10 minutes on each side. The first batch I got a little too thin, so more crispy but still good. The second batch a little thicker-nice treat for me-and gluten free. I will see how these work out in a pie crust next.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails